1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Woollyhoolly, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Oooh, I'm very much in the same position and looking to shoot off a few applications in the next few weeks (august start).
    I have been drawn to jobs advertised in Mexico, Thailand, Tanzania and China- Pros and cons anyone?
    Let me know how you get on jesuisfou!

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I think you just have to watch for the ads & apply for any jobs that tempt you.
    If you decide where you want to work first there might not be jobs there so keep an open mind.
    So look for the jobs - then decide how you would feel about living/ teaching in that place.
    and that's good advice from foneypharoah about the property ladder.
    My mortgage has 15 years still to run - but all things (like interest rates - income - expenses) being equal - I could have it paid off in the next 3 years if I stay here!
    Just hope my tenants are being nice to my lovely ash dining table & my leather furniture [​IMG] while I'm away!
    Good luck.

3. The savings/cost of living difference in China is quite good. You could reasonably expect to save half your salary as a single person. PM me for details.

4. I am in a similar situation but would ideally like to not stray too far from the UK. I am thinking particularly in Europe, base schools or International schools but I have not really researched anything yet, I came on here first! Does anyone know anything about differences between countries, eg. pay in schools, conditions of schools?

5. Unfortunately, there is a lot of competition for jobs in Europe. Also in a lot of Europe you won't be able to save much money but some schools in eastern Europe and Switzerland have good packages.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

For money go to Middle East - but for happiness go to Asia: Thailand / Malaysia. I know SFs who have enjoyed China, but wouldn't rush back. Middle East can be a hassle for SFs. There's a few places in Asia that pay well enough to save; Malaysia is very cheap to live and any salary above £500 a month is savings/beer money.
    I loved S America, but the money isn't so good in most cases.

7. vodkaholic

vodkaholic New commenter

Hi,
    I am looking to teach abroad. I have a house here in the UK so need an overseas job that will pay enough to cover the costs of it i.e. tenants moving out and it becoming empty, repair costs etc. I was just wondering where you are teaching as it sounds like doing a good job of getting your mortgage paid off!