1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go on holiday in April

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Jun 17, 2012.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Instead of writing reports I have started thinking about holidays!

I am not a fan of very hot places and fancy going away in April, rather than the summer holidays next year. Where is good to go in April? Not too hot (early twenties is fine) and somewhere where there will be things to do (we are a couple in our late twenties).

We would prefer Europe but if we may be able to stretch our budget to somewhere further afield. (Ideally I don't want to pay more than £700/£800 per person.)

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

South Africa - autumn then so dry, pleasantly warm in the day but can be colder at night. Flights biggest expense but if prepared to change flights can get there for around £500 return, once there food and accomodation cheap and of a high standard. Safaris expensive if luxury but you can camp and self drive, can visit / do beaches, towns, wine tasting, sports, lots of things!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

France around Poitou-Charentes/Bordeaux (loads to do) or further south around Biarritz. The bit in between is OK if you like wlld coast, but there's not many large towns.

Lake Garda and/or Venice

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I would have thought France on the Med would be good at that time of year. Lots to see (Roman influence) but a hell of a lot of variety along that coastline as a whole, heading west from Nice towards Montpellier, Aigues-Mortes, etc.

5. One week or longer?

6. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

1 week - 10 days

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Crete is beautiful at that time of the year.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We went to Lisbon in the summer half-term and it was lovely. I don't know what the temperatures would be in April, but I'd guess nice and warm, but not too hot.
    The city centre is small and easy to get around - lots of pedestrianised areas, big squares, loads of cafes where you can sit outside and just relax and watch the world go by. You can get a tram up to the Old Town ( very steep ride along narrow, twisting lanes) where the castle offers views of the sea and the city. There are museums, parks, beaches, bars and a cathedral. I'd really recommend it.

9. Madeira is lovely in April, and Lanzarote. Lots to see and do in both places.

10. bnm

bnm

I'm cheap and cheerful and go to Whitby often, and often in Feb/Nov.
    It is easy to get to and has beautiful walking whatever the weather......nothing to beat a hot bath after a day of walking on the moors in the snow.