1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shazzyware, Aug 18, 2011.

1. I currently teach year 4 in a one form entry private school. I actually spent last year setting up year four, as the school previously had years 5-13. I should also mention that this is my fourth year as a qualified teacher, but the first year was spent as a ppa cover teacher and I joined the profession relatively late.
    I would love to progress my career but really don't have a clue what I would like to do next or how to get there (courses, qualifications etc). I have previous supervisory/ management experience and have thought about teaching secondary but would love your advice about what I could do next.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received [​IMG]

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

What do you WANT to do?

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you want to teach rather than baby sit and crowd control, I would suggest you stay in Primary or at least in Private schools!
    The obvious next move is to a larger school where you can be a year leader, thence onwards to dep headship if that appeals.
    Have you taught many year groups as yet, cos that may open or limit opportunities

4. I have taught mainly lower key stage two but have covered years five and six as well on a regular basis and have also taught foundation/key stage 1 on long term supply cover. What experience / qualifications would I be expected to have to become a year leader?

5. Ask in school for a leadership role, maybe leading literacy or numeracy. If these are already taken ask if you could shadow one of them, if you like special needs then shadow the senco, with a view to stepping into a position of responsibility next year.
    There are courses you could look at such as those run by LEA, Literacy Matters or The National College.
    If you are serious about management look at the tomorrows heads programe,you may be a bit late for this round of applications but you could look at the criteris needed for next year.

6. Thanks - not harsh at all -just valuable advice from an experianced perspective.

7. Thank you for all your good advice - teaching is definitely different to the commercial sector where there is often a natural progression upwards without having to look for it and where all life's experiences count.