1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go after Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Aug 13, 2011.

1. I've posted this on book club as well, but there seems to be very litlte traffic there at the moment.
    My daughter (age 10) has just devoured the Harry Potter books. She's read one after the other and when she finished, she started at the beginning again.
    Has anybody got any suggestions of what she could read next? She's read a lot of Cathy Cassidy and Enid Blyton but her favourite book (other than Harry Potter of course) is Pippi Longstocking. She's not a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson.

2. I've posted this on book club as well, but there seems to be very litlte traffic there at the moment.
    My daughter (age 10) has just devoured the Harry Potter books. She's read one after the other and when she finished, she started at the beginning again.
    Has anybody got any suggestions of what she could read next? She's read a lot of Cathy Cassidy and Enid Blyton but her favourite book (other than Harry Potter of course) is Pippi Longstocking. She's not a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson.

3. My kids, now in their twenties, liked CS Lewis's Narnia series and Roald Dahl and when older Terry Pratchett of those that I can remember.
    Lovely to hear she has read HP already.

4. Oh and Lord of the Rings (I've given up reading them too slow for me!)

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Lemony Snickett?
    Anthony Horowitz?
    Margaret Mahy?
    Marcus Sedgwick (sp)?
    Susan Cooper?
    Neil Gaiman?
    Eoin Colfer?
    Michael Morpurgo?
    C S Lewis?
    There's a book called The Ultimate Book Guide- I keep it in my class library. Anyway, it lists looks and authors. The child can look up a book they enjoyed and it gives suggestions on other books they might enjoy. It contains reviews by children and authors. Sorry don't know the author offhand.

6. That sounds very useful - I'll look out for that one
    We've tried CS Lewis, but she wasn't keen and she's read some Michael Murpurgo at school and has rejected him.
    I haven't heard of many of the others. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look them up

7. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Amazon sometimes suggests other books similiar to Harry Potter once you have searched for it.
    Another way of getting your child to read some new books is to take them to the library and letting them have a look at the book selection or the "new books that have just arrived."
    I do that now and I find myself reading new material I would never have previously considered [​IMG]

8. Perdita, I was just about to post an identical thread so I'm glad I spotted this.
    My eldest daughter turns 10 tomorrow, she has just finished all the Harry Potter books and, like your daughter, doesn't know where to go from here.
    I shall keep an eye on this thread with interest!

9. I've also posted this on book club - keep an eye on that as well as there is already another suggestion there.
    The Harry Potter books do seem to be incredibly addictive don't they. I can remember Enid Blyton being criticised when I was young because once you started reading her, you didn't want to try anything else.

10. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My bookworm daughter, also 10, is currently enjoying the "Magic Thief" trilogy by Sarah Prineas. I've certainly enjoyed the bits that I've read of them.They are also about a boy discovering magical powers and battling evil.

11. Sounds promising...
    Thank you

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

The Northern Lights trilogy is very good but maybe a little too old at present. Also books by Cornnelia Funke are great tho cant remember their names right now.

14. The Percy Jackson series of books are good apparently. My 10 year old cousin raves about them. They are about a boy who finds out that he is the son of one of the Greek gods and is sent to a summer camp for Greek heroes. The first one was made into a film a while ago but she said that the film was no where near as good as the book.

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

Pratchett's Wee Free Men subset of the Discworld books is excellent. There are now four:
    Wee Free Men
    A Hat Full of Sky
    Wintersmith
    I Shall Wear Midnight

16. I would like to suggest Alan Garner's 'The Owl Service'.
    It is beautifully written (I would put it way above Harry Potter for literary style) and an absolute joy to read. It has a mildly disturbing/slightly scary supernational edge to it. I think it would be a perfect choice.
    I may have to re-read it myself!.....I have to admit it scared me a tad when I first read it.....but in a good way!
    (There was also a rather good TV adaption some years ago.)

17. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series is good- 'Mister Monday', 'Grim Tuesday' etc.
    I prefer his trilogy, Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen but they may be a little too old for her.

18. yes, these are the Pratchetts for the 'younger reader' as is 'Maurice and his amazing educated rodents' and the series with 'Diggers', sorry cant' recall the other titles.
    I would also recommend Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence, recommended to my mum to buy for me by Y8 English teacher when I was becoming reluctant with the subject but still loved reading (errrk, how is that now 17 years ago??), and re-read often, particularly around Christmas.
    Ursula le Guin's Earthsea quarter is similar too, and Anne McCaffrey's series with Dragons (all to do with Pern, there are LOADS!)
    Come to think of it, that's half of our bookshelves. The rest is stuff that's not suitable until your daughter is a little older (e.g. the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan etc)

19. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

My 8 year old has moved from Harry Potter to Percy Jackson -"Half Boy, Half God, All Hero" The basis is a modern boy descended from the gods of Greek mythology who has unending adventures solving mysteries, fighting mythological creatures and interacting with all the familiar characters of greek mythology.