1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go after Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Book club' started by perdita, Aug 13, 2011.

1. My daughter (age 10) has just devoured the Harry Potter books. She's read one after the other and when she finished, she started at the beginning again.
    Has anybody got any suggestions of what she could read next? She's read a lot of Cathy Cassidy and Enid Blyton but her favourite book (other than Harry Potter of course) is Pippi Longstocking. She's not a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson.

2. My daughter (age 10) has just devoured the Harry Potter books. She's read one after the other and when she finished, she started at the beginning again.
    Has anybody got any suggestions of what she could read next? She's read a lot of Cathy Cassidy and Enid Blyton but her favourite book (other than Harry Potter of course) is Pippi Longstocking. She's not a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson.

3. Diana Wynne Jones, all of hers are brilliant, but start with the Chronicles of Chrestomanci.

4. She maybe still a little young, but the Hunger Games trilogy is very good. Worth a read yourself first to check too!

5. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

It has to be Philip Pullman - Northern Lights is beautifully written.

6. Northern Lights definitely.
    and Michelle's Paver's Wolf Brother is fab - pure escapism, beautiful.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

At that age I loved Rumer Godden's The Diddakoi and by Nina Bawdin - Carrie's War and The Peppermint Pig.
    A bit different from Harry Potter but all books with strong children as the lead characters which is part of why I loved them.
    I echo the Philip Pullman suggestion, there is the Ruby in the Smoke series as well as the Northern Lights triliogy.

8. anteater

anteater New commenter

The Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve.

9. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

How about Michael Morpurgo? He writes well for that age group, although his books risk being done to death in schools.

10. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Highly, highly recommend Diana Wynne Jones. My favourite of hers is probably 'Howl's Moving Castle'. Also liked the Hunger Games. Percy Jackson is very good, and for her age group I would thoroughly recommend Joan Aiken. Lots of her short story collections are terrific - particularly the ones about the Armitage family. Amazon are doing a new collection of them. Also try 'Midnight for Charlie Bone' and the follow ons. Skulduggery Pleasant books are very good too.

11. i agree that Charlie Bone is a good read. Less dark than Harry Potter.

12. Pamela2223

Pamela2223 New commenter

Mortal Engines books by Philip Reeve - imaginative, exciting and thought provoking.
    Any of the Mr Gum stories by Andy Stanton funny, disgusting but with a clever girl heroine .

13. Diana Wynne Jones, as already recommended, and Katherine Patterson, followed by Cynthia Voigt. I would recommend anything written by these three authors.

14. The Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage is brilliant - my son has been reading them since he was 9 (now nearly 14). Quite similar to Harry Potter in terms of reading difficulty & also with a magical theme.[​IMG]

15. Chronicles of ancient darkness by Michelle Paver. They are fab my son was hooked on these they are about a stone age boy who has magical powers and are full of adventure but are gentle and very detailed. There is a wolf and everything I even loved reading them