1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get wire

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by marsoma, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Any one got any ideas where to get wire for use in wire sculptures? I need cable that I can strip or telephone wire or anything that is easy to manipuate. The stuff in YPO is a bit thick and garden wire is too expensive. Any ideas would be appreciated. Do they have any at the dump do you think???
    Thanks in advance for any reply x

2. If your scope is 'table top', then try florists' wire - it comes in bundles. Hobbycraft do it at a reasonable price.
    They also do a wide variety of wires (gauge, material, even colour) for beading - this ranges in price from 'hmm... maybe...' to 'HOW MUCH!??'

If you want havy calibre copper, then get to an electrical supplier and see about off cuts - but do get some sort of wire stripper, don't try using a knife. And never a scalpel for any work involving a bit of hwyl (oomph, elbow grease etc) - not designed for this sort of work, they break and a razor sharp blade takes to the air!

3. Erratum - that should be heavy calibre. This keyboard is putting years on me even as I type...

4. forgot to mention - if you do get some copper, see the Metalwork dept about annealing it.

5. Thanks for the suggestions.