1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get kittens?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jane1962, Feb 16, 2012.

1. We have decided to get some kittens, well my 2 boys are really keen on having some and OH and me have previously had kittens and do rather like them. As it doesn't seem to be the kitten season we are having trouble locating some, would like 2 from the same litter if possible, preferably tabby (not black and white). Anyone on here have any bright ideas or contacts they could share I would be grateful as so far only found one person with kittens which boys and husband have gone to have a peek at.
    We are in Norfolk, south of Norwich, Breckland region though not a huge distance from West Suffolk either. Thanks X

2. We have decided to get some kittens, well my 2 boys are really keen on having some and OH and me have previously had kittens and do rather like them. As it doesn't seem to be the kitten season we are having trouble locating some, would like 2 from the same litter if possible, preferably tabby (not black and white). Anyone on here have any bright ideas or contacts they could share I would be grateful as so far only found one person with kittens which boys and husband have gone to have a peek at.
    We are in Norfolk, south of Norwich, Breckland region though not a huge distance from West Suffolk either. Thanks X

3. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I would try your local RSPCA animal shelter, they get a lot of pregnant cats who then have litters that need homes. They may cost more than out of the paper, but I think it is the best place to get one and do some good at the same time! It also means you could get a couple and know they have been looked after from birth.
    You also get free insurance for 4-6 weeks when you get them from there, plus advice etc.
    I would not suggest getting them from a pet shop, my last kitten was from one and when I took her to the net for her vaccinations the vet was not happy with her condition.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well first the daddy cat gets to know the mommy cat..........[​IMG]

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't live in your area but have always got my cats from the local RSPCA or animal sanctuary. Having said that they are quite strict - they wouldn't let me take a kitten this time as I work for more than 4 hours at a stretch. Had my children been under 5 they wouldn't have allowed me to take a cat at all. They also don't allow you to have one if you live on a main road - in fact sometimes I wonder that they find any suitable homes for their cats
    (joking).

Having said that we got our one-year-old female from them and paid £60 which included vaccinations, micro-chipping and neutering. I also paid £99 which covers my cat's vaccinations for life (with Vets4pets), so with organisations like these you know your cat hasn't got any hidden nasties.

I would ring or visit your local animal place before going to a pet shop or even a person whose cat has had kittens - unless you know them very well (the person that is, not the kittens).

Happy kittening.

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Why ever not black and white? I am sure you have a valid reason but choosing a cat isn't like choosing a handbag. The colour really shouldn't be important to be honest?

8. I don't live in your area but when we were looking for a kitten we found a fantastic local cat charity that specialized in rehoming kittens.They weren't as strict as the RSPCA and let us take our little girl home that day.She is a beautiful tabby and I fell in love with her straight away. Do look to rehome a kitten.My little girl had the worst start in life and I am so glad we could provide her a loving home.
    There are so many lovely little kittens who just need someone to love them

9. Do you work in a school? Ask the kids, some of the cats round our way are permanently pregnant.

10. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

'Not black and white' may explain why at the RSPCA shelter got mine from virtually every cat was black and white! I even asked them if it was normal to have so many black and white ones and apparently it is.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Did they not like the kittens?

12. I would encourage everyone to go to the cats protection league or RSPCA etc first, it breaks my heart to see cats in petshops or as products of unneutered cats that are just left to breed in order to bring the owner in a few pounds.
    That said, it is no kittens fault its unwanted/living in a pet shop and although buying from these places gives the owners business, it also gives a good home to a little kitten. Wherever you get your kitten from you will be doing a good thing - but yes, cats from rescues will usually have had their vaccinations and have a full bill of health which is good for you and good for kitten.

13. It's not the right time of year for kittens. We registered our interest with a local cattery at about this time and the ones we subsequently had were born in mid May. We've had rescue kittens before and, as this time, I felt almost guilty that ours were so pretty! We just said yes to the first ones available, having not even seen them. I was quite prepared to have any colour or look knowing that the super pretty ones would be adopted more easily.
    By the way, when you've got one/some please get them neutered. Don't believe any nonsense that females 'need' to have a litter or are better off for having one. THEY DON'T!
    Do remember that the vaccinations are quite expensive but well worth it for the peace of mind. Also, don't forget the anti-flea treatments. I think the regular injections are best and far less hassle than treating them when (not if) they've got them! Get them wormed too! Pretty easy to do, but even easier if the vet gives them the tablets at the same time as doing something else.

14. Anti-flea injections? Didn't know you could get those. I've just used Frontline.
    How much the RSPCA will do for the cat or kittens varies depending on the area - some branches are financially better off than others. Mine neuters and chips, but doesn't vaccinate, but the one based in the next major city does include vaccination. Cats and kittens are always treated for fleas/worms when taken in, though, and kittens have to be wormed every two weeks (that's NOT fun!) and if the cat/kittens need any other treatment before adoption that will be covered, too - an operation, or if they picked up something else that needs treatment such as ringworm or chlamydia, They arrive at the RSPCA having been through all sorts!

15. I probably didn't explain myself properly. The breeder who sold our female cat to us was aware that we wanted to breed her professionally and sold her to us in this knowledge and even recommended the best stud place to go to. Our cat was having none of it and would not go near the cream male they matched her with so we had given up on the idea of her having kittens and began to arrange to have her spayed. Before we had a chance to take her to the vets, she was out in our back garden and a black and white tom cat vaulted over the wall and impregnated her. After she had given birth, she was spayed.

16. As for the question about the roads, we have lived in 3 different houses with cats. Two were on side roads and our current one is on an estate. Also, I know the above post may give the impression that we took our female into stud as soon as we bought her but she was in fact 18 months old when she went in (she was 4 months old when we bought her). Also, although wanting another cream cat was one of the reasons behind getting a cat with her specific colouring, the main reason we got another cat was because our surviving cat was miserable on his own.