1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to find a job for Senior Posts as desperate times!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cozza27, Nov 27, 2018.

1. cozza27

cozza27 New commenter

Hi,

I am hoping someone can give me some words of wisdom. I am a sole DHT at my school whereby it has been recently taken over by a new academy chain and a new Headteacher. I have gone from only securing Outstanding for the last 4 years I have been here to being told 'my face doesn't fit' and need to move on asap before I get myself into trouble.

I am constantly watching all communication as my head is content on finding me at fault. I have contacted the Union who have advised that can do all sorts of options but will only cause me more anxt and stress. I have been told that I can get a job on Wednesday and do a silent exit by Friday so know eager to get me to leave.

I have seen the writing on the wall and made 2 applications this year to no joy of being shortlisted whilst same application style last year got me two job interviews (not that I was successful!)

I am looking on TES/Guardian but have heard agencies are a great way to get your foot in and move quickly. Can anyone recommend any I am in Buckinghamshire and willing to travel into London to the West/North West/South West side so any advice would be recommended.

I am hopeful that someone will have words of wisdom of how t secure a post asap as really need to get out before it has a negative spiral affect.

thanking all responses in advance

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

What have the union advised? You are desperately looking for a job, are not having luck, which is making you worse. This is not going to help you with future employers.

There's also referencing. Do you think the HT will give you a good one?

Regarding agencies, I'm not sure you'd get a SLT post via one. Again, what advice have your Union given?

cozza27 likes this.
  3. cozza27

cozza27 New commenter

Hi,

Reference I have been advised by my head that will get a stunning one! Union options are constructive dismissal/ grievance against Headteacher/ unfair dismissal - none of which from a legal background are worth the pain or hassle.

My aim is to leave with my dignity in tact if that is going to even be possible. I have had at least 10 phone calls but think I may remove CV as you are right that with agency fees it just would be too expensive!

4. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

At the very least if they've admiited they want you out you should take them for every penny and get a SA. It's illegal ,to say you can leave in a few days without notice period just because they want you out. Tell them you've done nothing wrong, what they're doing is corrupt and you will leave but with a SA and and agreed ref. Anything else goes to Tribunal. Nail their hats on!

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nationally speaking, there are loads of senior roles vacant out there as there is a shortage of (adequately skilled) people who want them.

Keep applying and you’ll get something. (Get somebody who knows what they’re doing to look at your application and advise you how to improve it too.)

You may not have considered this, but you may have more success applying for HT roles - There is an even bigger shortage of suitable applicants for those roles.

Or, if you’re worried you’re on the brink of being kicked out, lower your sights and apply for less senior roles (you can always apply for other DHT roles in the future).

Wouldn’t bother with agencies either...

Good luck.

ViolaClef likes this.