1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to do a PGCE

Discussion in 'Independent' started by harriettwebster, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    Do independent schools care where you do your PGCE? I am a doctoral student in History who would really like to teach secondary level History in an independent school. I have a PGCE interview at Oxbridge coming up, and I am unsure about what to do. If it would make my CV shine to go there, I will if I can; however, it would involve a lot less upheaval if I were to do it at a less prestigious institution closer to home. Do you have any advice on what independent schools look for in terms of where their applicants have completed their training?
    Thank you
    Harriet

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

They really don't care at all. I did my PGCE at Brunel and it didn't affect my applications in the slightest!

3. I would say that the school placements are more important than the PGCE college. Try to get a mix of independent, state and mixed / single sex school experience. If you can A level too - that's a bonus but not key.

4. It doesn't matter in the slightest. I did my PGCE at a new and relatively unrespected uni for the simple reason that the institution was closer to home and I didn't fancy flat sharing during a stressful year. They look for undergrad experience (your PHD will definitely help), enthusiasm, expectations, experience relating to their A-Level courses, what you'll offer in terms of extra curricular History and commitment.