1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to Buy Religious Statues and Icons?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by WillowFae, Jul 5, 2011.

1. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

I've ordered from starbeck in the past

http://www.starbeck.com/

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Italy and Germany!! I went to the Oberamagau Passion Play last summer and the shops there have such beautiful statues and icons. I think there must be more skilled carpenters / carvers in that town than there are in the whole of the UK. Also, a few years ago our family went to Italy. I remember in Verona seeing beautiful Christian icons and statues. I bought a Nativity - scene, hand carved, which I still put up at Christmas.

I guess Cathedral cities like Canterbury will have more than most towns in UK. I think I got some nice photos from Walsingham - which may also have artefacts.

If you go on line they may sell that way too.

If you want Sikh artefacts try Southall in London and for Hindu ones try Wembley in London. For the Midlands you will find both Sikh and Hindu artefacts on Soho Road in Handsworth. Muslim books and pictures from several Islamic shops in London and Birmingham. For Jewish artefacts I've been to the right part of New York - and found great posters in Hebrew - although obviously a trip to Israel would be even better. I guess in England North London around Golders Green is a good place to start.

Again, with all these, check out internet too.

3. Why not contact your local Catholic Church they are usually more than willing to loan out some of the smaller stuff or ask their parishners if they have anything they want to donate. Thats what I did.

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

You will find some Buddhist artefacts at the above locations, too - but Evolution (in most big towns) have lots of beautiful Buddhist things and will give you local contacts too.