1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy a property?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MayaJones, Jul 2, 2019.

1. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

She is indeed. And let's not forget the 25K she handed over to those involved in the organisation of weddings, to give my mum and dad a 'nice day'.

To think I spent about 400 quid on my 'big day'; hardly doing the economy any favours is this old skin flint. ;)

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo and her overweight husband very much enjoyed their holiday in Greece. Greek prices for petrol, food and just about everything else were not so enjoyable.

3. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Are there any international schools in Greece I wonder? I have never seen any advertisement on TES for any having said that though but it would be a nice place to work.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If you go on the IB's website you can search for its schools by country. And yes there are international schools in Greece

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I suspect that the international schools in Greece will be like the toll roads: they look very good, they are mostly used by foreigners and they are otherwise empty.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm at an international school in Greece. I would say is about 50% Greek but that's not like having a school that's 50% local in China as the culture is European and most of the kids have the same interests and cultural experiences as the expat kids so everyone mixes. Lots of the kids who are 100% Greek I didn't even realise until they tell me. There are many dual nationality kids.

Private schools are huge in Greece. You only send your children to a state school if you're poor and there are very few poor people here. Don't believe the news, people may be cash poor but they are asset rich. Everyone owns at least 2 houses and can rent them out or sell them when things get tough.

As for wages they range from terrible to pretty bad. And the cost of living is high. Also, house prices have doubled in the last 5 years. Most schools are pretty much 100% local teachers as no expat teacher can afford to live here unless you're independently wealthy