1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy a first place in London?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gardening Leaves, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Daughter's looking to buy her first house / flat in London. She currently rents in Wimbledon and likes it very much but, since her 2 bedroom flat there is currently valued at £450,000, there's not much chance of her being able to afford it!
    Where would be good for her to look that's an ok-ish journey in to Waterloo (she works nearby)? She wants an area that feels pleasant and safe, where she's not likely to get her throat slit and can afford a max of about £200,000.

2. She should try renting in the area that she is considering before buying. £200K may not get very much!

3. Gardening Leaves

Yes, thanks, PFF. I've suggested that to her but she gave me one of those 'Don't be stupid' looks! It's terrifying that £200K buys nothing in London, isn't it?

4. Surbiton/Kingston area may be suitable on price and rail travel.

5. I believe Brockley in the south east is going up in the world. Well, it is if you believe the property experts. [​IMG]
    I used to travel through there quite a lot - and the Sydenham, Forest Hill, Lewisham, Catford areas. I am not in London now but Catford and Brockley always seemed harmlessly suburban and although those areas were slightly run down, they seemed safe enough. Good transport links into the city too.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

A holiday home in Robin Hoods Bay.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Raynes Park, Worcester Park, New Malden

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Clapham Junction. There are lots of ex-council flats. I haven't been there for the best part of 10 years but it already had some great bars and restaurants close by. Ridiculously convenient for Waterloo too.

9. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

We are just down the road from Hampton Court (Richmond on Thames borough) and there are loads of routes into London . Our local station takes 30 mins into London. Also near M25,M3 and A3 .We are officially in Surrey though -Walton on Thames.
    There has been lots of really nice apartment building going on and we have a really nice shopping centre which has some good shops and lots of places to eat - some posh but there is a muffin break for the more common among us (me, for example).

I quite like this 2 bedroom one which is close to the centre on one of the pretty river roads and in the old bit of the town for £194,950. It was the ex showflat in a gated development and has a built in audio system throughout the house.:
    http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=8208724
    This is a one bed one in the centre which has an underground carpark
    http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=7564755

The shops:
    http://theheartofwalton.com/retail/home

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

200k - would buy you a lovely 3 bedroom house up here in God's Own country. With a garden. How do you lot survive down south?

11. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I know, it's crazy! Plus rents are sky high as well.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Woolwich, way out southeast but with trains in to Waterloo East, has always been unfashionable, but is, I believe, now starting to be more up and coming, what with transport links and the development of the old Woolwich Arsenal. It might be worth looking into - a lot of new builds going on and urban regeneration.
    Lewisham, slightly less southeastbound, has a lot going for it in practical terms: excellent transport links (overland into Waterloo East probably 15 mins or under - at a guess) and the DLR. Very close to lovely Blackheath and Greenwich. However, I am not confident enough to state that it is the safest of neighbourhoods these days.

13. You couldn't pay me to live in Woolwich. Such a sh*thole.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We visit the East End regularly - Bethnall Green in fact. We think it's a good place to live. Lots of newish stuff next door in Bow but might be too expensive.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

By the sound of things it reached its nadir in the 90's and is now possibly on the way up. Very early days, I know, but think of other former sh*tholes (most of east London for a start) that are now in vogue. These things take time, but if you get in almost before the start the prices can be right.

16. Gardening Leaves

Many thanks for all your ideas. Plenty for us to look at.

Thanks for the links Moonpenny. I like yhe look of the flat in Walton, too and I know daughter likes that aream

House prices in London are crazy). As I said, her current 2 bed flat in Wimbledon is valued at £450K and I think it's titchy! Daughter shares with a friend and they pay £1200 rent per month between them!! It would be much cheaper to buy and take advantage of the tax benefits of the Rent a Room Scheme.