1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to begin in proposing Media Studies?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ryu22, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I've just started my first year of teaching Engish. As I've only just entered the profession I wanted to know how I should go about researching and proposing Media Studies in the future as it has become a subject I have become really passionate about and it's a project I could really sink my teeth into (once I have got some experience behind me of course!) I heard that a while ago the school were really pressuring the English Department to set up Media Studies but the Head of Department is very traditional and managed to get his way. Since then I believe the pressure has diminished due to the new goverment (as it's not looked on favourably as subjects go and I'm guessing is quite an expensive subject to set up.) I could start things off with a Media Club but as it stands my school has no cameras or software to support this. Who would I go to in order to get the ball rolling?
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

2. I've just started my first year of teaching Engish. As I've only just entered the profession I wanted to know how I should go about researching and proposing Media Studies in the future as it has become a subject I have become really passionate about and it's a project I could really sink my teeth into (once I have got some experience behind me of course!) I heard that a while ago the school were really pressuring the English Department to set up Media Studies but the Head of Department is very traditional and managed to get his way. Since then I believe the pressure has diminished due to the new goverment (as it's not looked on favourably as subjects go and I'm guessing is quite an expensive subject to set up.) I could start things off with a Media Club but as it stands my school has no cameras or software to support this. Who would I go to in order to get the ball rolling?
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A club's a good starting point but make sure they produce quality stuff, and find opportunities to show it off. To my mind the most fundamental argument for Media Education is the simple question 'where do they get their information from these days, and what shapes their perceptions of the world?'. It sure as hell isn't classic novels and bloody Shakespeare. It's also important to ensure that if you do run a course it is rigorous, demanding, and doesn't pander to stereotypical perceptions of pop/yoof culture, ie doing Case Studies of Talent Shows, Celebrities and the Media, and TV Soaps. Push the boat out - use at least one old black and white movie, analyse foreign texts, take them outside their usual viewing limits. If you don't you will rapidly become a sink subject for plonkers because others will perceive it as a soft option and steer them into it.

As for filming, unless you're in a particularly deprived area I think you'll find that your students already have the necessary video capture technology at home. Let them use it to do the filming in their own time then you supervise the editing in school. I once mobilised an entire year group to do their own out of school filming with their own kit and it pretty much worked. Drove me scatty though ;-)