1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where there's a will...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hhhh, Jan 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

One of these days I plan to get around to making a will, but I might be taken in for surgery very soon. I am not rich and have nothing complicated to sort out, so if I wrote out my wishes on an ordinary sheet of paper, signed and dated it and got two witnesses, would that do? I could google it, but would prefer to trust to those of you on here who know-whether or not you've taught Law! Thanks for any advice.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Where there's a will... there are vultures (sub for distant rellies) circling...

emerald52 likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And what proof do you have that anyone who responds knows what they are talking about?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills/

mothorchid and needabreak like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Not enough to bother to circle for! But seriously, will what I suggested do if I do't have time before going into hospital?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

6. needabreak

You'll be surprised who might rock up for their 2p... question is do you care...

Like pensions everyone's circumstances are different so we can't possibly advise... Nor should we but nomad's link is useful, esp the union links.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I hope what you describe is OK because that's all my husband and I have. He dies - I get the lot. I die - he gets the lot. If we die together, kids get half each. My brother's the executor.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's very unusual for people to die simultaneously. Normally one person dies before the other even if it is momentary.
    If we die in a crash it will be necessary to decide who died first

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Sorry, but it's extremely unlikely that what you describe would be accepted as a legally binding will, meaning that the rules of intestacy would apply, which could lead to your estate being distributed in a very different way to what you envisage.

emerald52 likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Having slightly more complicated circumstances we preferred to err on the side of caution and chose a mirror trust will.

Mirror Trust Wills (2 Wills for a couple) costs £420 +VAT (£504 including VAT).

Bit more expensive but they are both held with a solicitor and all relevant parties are aware of this so it provides peace of mind that our wishes will be fulfilled.

When you need legal advice

You can get advice from a professional if your will is not straightforward, for example:
    • you share a property with someone who is not your husband, wife or civil partner
    • you want to leave money or property to a dependant who cannot care for themselves
    • you have several family members who may make a claim on your will, such as a second spouse or children from another marriage
    • your permanent home is outside the UK
    • you have property overseas
    • you have a business

emerald52 likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

That's all my mother did. We didn't hit any obstacles. Half each to my brother and me.

12. Aquamarina1234

Can they tell in an airline crash?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Assumption is people die in row sequence..
    Can be problematic for inheritance e.g were Charles and William to die "together" the sequence would be of utmost importance

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have a vague memory that if a couple of people die in an accident and it is necessary for whatever reason to find who died first, it is assumed that the older one went first unless there is any evidence to the contrary.

emerald52 and nomad like this.
  15. needabreak

This is getting rather more morbid than I thought a thread about wills could get.
    I wish hhhh all the best and hope their concerns over the need for a will are unfounded. That said I'm guessing and that's all it is that something is better than nothing.

hhhh and caress like this.
  16. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

You can avoid this by writing something like 'I leave everything to X asdimong they survive me by 28 days. If not l leave it to Z.' Or similar.

NB blank will proformas available from stationers or Amazon etc. Cheap and easy to fill in.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Get a proper will done - it's not expensive and could well save a lot of grief.

18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Wills for me and Mr E with a local solicitor were less than £500. Not complicated- mine goes to him, his goes to me and then, if both gone, to our daughter. Gave her a copy of our will so she has it easily available.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

The mangled word was 'assuming'! Really no need to pay £500!

hhhh likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The formalities of the wording can be important so I agree with Morninglover, it's worth getting one of the DIY kits. Search "will writing kit england" on Amazon and there are plenty to chose from, same day delivery if needed, for less than £10. IMO worth spending the £10 rather than making it up on a sheet of blank paper. It would be very frustrating for your family if your 'blank sheet of paper' will was declared invalid by the Probate office when they went to file for Probate, all because of some technical defect in the wording.

It's not only who gets your money it's also you deciding who manages your affairs and deals with your estate. And what happens if the Executor you nominate dies before you. Etc.

hhhh likes this.