1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where the wild things are - help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma891234, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm on my final placement in year 1 and after half term I'm going to be using where the wild things are for the fantasy stories literacy unit. I am going to be observed the first week back and was wondering if anybody would be able to check my ideas for my observed lesson and let me know what you think.

My LO will be to use adjectives. I'll begin by recapping the story we are learning about, the name of the author and what fantasy means. In pairs, the chn will discuss what they can remember that happened in the story and then I will choose chn to feed back.
    Then, I am thinking of either reading the first part of the story again or showing them the animated version on DVD up to the point when Max's bedroom turns into a forest. I'll then introduce the LO - to use adjectives to describe the setting. I'll ask them why they think Max's bedroom turning into a bedroom is a fantasy setting. I'll also ask them what they would like their bedroom to turn into. I'm going to try and find some forest clips on youtube and I'll show it to them so that they know what a forest looks like and the kind of sounds they can hear in a forest. We have been doing plants in science so I'll make some cross curriculuar links to this. I'll ask the chn what adjectives mean (they already know this) and I'll get them to describe the picture of Max's bedroom turning into a forest. The children will probably say things like beautiful trees and big trees and so I'll model how to improve this. I'll ask them what the different senses are and explain that we can think of the senses to help us come up with strong adjectives. Then I will get some leaves and scrunch them and get them to think of the sounds. I'll get them to think back to the clips that they saw and the sounds they heard. I'll do the same for feel.

For the activity, I will put leaves, flowers, twigs and magnifying glasses on each table (can anybody think of anything else that I could put on their tables). The chn will pretend that they have shrunk. I will have pictures of Max on a lollystick on each table and the chn will play and pretend that Max is walking through the forest. I am thinking of giving them 5 minutes to do this. The chn will have the picture of Max's bedroom turning into a forest. The LA will have each sense as a subheading and underneath that they will list adjectives. MA will do same as above but they will write in full sentences. HA will do same as MA but they will have no sub headings.

In the plenary, I will get the chn to write on a post it note an adjective that they have used that they are proud of and they will add it to our working wall. We will recap the fantasy setting and what we used to help us think of strong adjectives - senses. If enough time, we could do the same for Max and describe him.

Do you think my ideas are ok? Can anybody suggest how I could improve this lesson? I would really appreciate any advice that is given.

Thank you

2. Hi

I'm on my final placement in year 1 and after half term I'm going to be using where the wild things are for the fantasy stories literacy unit. I am going to be observed the first week back and was wondering if anybody would be able to check my ideas for my observed lesson and let me know what you think.

My LO will be to use adjectives. I'll begin by recapping the story we are learning about, the name of the author and what fantasy means. In pairs, the chn will discuss what they can remember that happened in the story and then I will choose chn to feed back.
    Then, I am thinking of either reading the first part of the story again or showing them the animated version on DVD up to the point when Max's bedroom turns into a forest. I'll then introduce the LO - to use adjectives to describe the setting. I'll ask them why they think Max's bedroom turning into a bedroom is a fantasy setting. I'll also ask them what they would like their bedroom to turn into. I'm going to try and find some forest clips on youtube and I'll show it to them so that they know what a forest looks like and the kind of sounds they can hear in a forest. We have been doing plants in science so I'll make some cross curriculuar links to this. I'll ask the chn what adjectives mean (they already know this) and I'll get them to describe the picture of Max's bedroom turning into a forest. The children will probably say things like beautiful trees and big trees and so I'll model how to improve this. I'll ask them what the different senses are and explain that we can think of the senses to help us come up with strong adjectives. Then I will get some leaves and scrunch them and get them to think of the sounds. I'll get them to think back to the clips that they saw and the sounds they heard. I'll do the same for feel.

For the activity, I will put leaves, flowers, twigs and magnifying glasses on each table (can anybody think of anything else that I could put on their tables). The chn will pretend that they have shrunk. I will have pictures of Max on a lollystick on each table and the chn will play and pretend that Max is walking through the forest. I am thinking of giving them 5 minutes to do this. The chn will have the picture of Max's bedroom turning into a forest. The LA will have each sense as a subheading and underneath that they will list adjectives. MA will do same as above but they will write in full sentences. HA will do same as MA but they will have no sub headings.

In the plenary, I will get the chn to write on a post it note an adjective that they have used that they are proud of and they will add it to our working wall. We will recap the fantasy setting and what we used to help us think of strong adjectives - senses. If enough time, we could do the same for Max and describe him.

Do you think my ideas are ok? Can anybody suggest how I could improve this lesson? I would really appreciate any advice that is given.

Thank you

3. Hi,
    have only taught juniors- for over 20 years, and I love teaching literacy. What a shame even y1 have to know the word adjective and can't just get on with making the leaves crunch! Your lesson sounds fine enough...and my little boy would enjoy it I think, but is there any way you could get the children moving? I know you probably don't have a forest outside to go for a walk, but perhaps some music -do you have a dance CD used for PE?... could they 'go for a walk ' in a forest in the classroom? I find children always write well if they have experienced an activity- even if only in their heads. They would then be able to really think like Max as they walk him across the table.
    Good luck![​IMG]

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Sounds brilliant to me! I'm going to do the thing that always annoys me when people say it to me, and suggest seems quite a lot for one lesson. Think you will have to be very pacy in first part of lesson. Could you shrink this bit, go into the examination of leaves sharpish, then come back for shared writing before children go to write own sentences? Just an opinion though, and by no means more valid than your own!

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

For plenary could the post its be leaves, to make an adjective tree?

6. Many thanks for all your replies!
    I am going to go through the first part of the lesson really quickly so that I don't lose much time. I love the suggestion about the adjectives tree but I am thinking that the chn won't be able to read the words from far if they are written on post it notes. I've already got a tree on my display and so I'll get them to write the adjectives on green post it notes and i'll stick them on to the tree. After the lesson, I will scribe the adjectives on to a large sheet and put it on the working wall so that all the chn can see it clearly and can use it in further work.

I totally agree with the point raised about the chn experiencing what a forest is like for themselves. Unfortunately, we do not have a forest near by and we have very few trees. Our role play area is very small and so there is not much room to set up a forest and we are not allowed to dangle things of the ceilings which is why I thought I would have some twigs, flowers and leaves on each table so that they can experience it on a small scale. I am thinking of having lots of leaves in a corner. I'll get the chn in groups to walk over it and this way they'll be able to hear the sounds. I could also get the chn to pretend that they are trees and I could get them to slowly rise up from a curved ball and I could choose a child to be Max and walk around the trees. Also, I am going to show them some clips of a forest on youtube so that they know what a forest is like.
    Does anybody have any more suggestions as to how I could improve this?

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

I think you have probably got two lessons here! The first one would be all the interactive stuff - walking in leaves, scrunching leaves, looking at forest images, listening to forest sounds.... and building up word banks for each sense.
    The second lesson would be using the word banks to write descriptive sentences.
    Personally, I wouldn't ask the children what they want their bedroom to turn into - your focus for this lesson is on Max's bedrooma nd the forest, keep their thoughts on that.