1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where should we go?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ScotLass33, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ScotLass33

ScotLass33 New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post but have been lurking around here for a while.

I am looking into the possibilities of teaching abroad from August 2019.

I've been teaching 9 years and looking for a bit of an adventure and to broaden our horizons a bit. We would also like the chance to save a bit of money with the intention of coming back home in 5-10 years all going well.

My husband is not a teacher and we have a daughter who will be 4 years old by the time we are hoping to move away.

I'm looking for advice on countries and cities in which we could live, work and enjoy time as a family. We are very open minded about cultures and regions.

My husband plans to do the TEFL certificate so that hopefully he could get a job teaching English.

So far we've looked at UAE, Egypt, Singapore, Malaysia, not keen on China or Hong Kong due to the pollution levels since I'm asthmatic (is this actually a problem?). Are we missing anywhere that should be on that list?

I understand it's not necessarily easy to get a decent job at a decent school with a great package when you haven't worked abroad before so want to know as much as possible about different places. Hopefully when the time comes we will have done enough research to know whether a place will suit us or not.

In short we do not have any bias to any place in the world. We'd like a decent quality of life and ability to save. Any advice?

Thanks

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I'm in Taiwan, husband is asthmatic but does fine. PM me if you want to know about living/working here.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The only place on your list where he could really make use of the TEFL certificate is China, and he'd need his own working visa to enable him to do that (can't work on spouse visa). Also, TEFL jobs in China are generally evenings and weekends, and I think it's the same in many countries, so goodbye family time. There may be some opportunities in Egypt as well for TEFL. I think all of the countries on your list would require your husband to have his own work visa.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Better option for the husband is for him to do a PGCE in the time before you leave. Then you can go as a teaching couple, easier to find work as a teacher.

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Usually people go to something called "TES Conversations" and they send one of these things to a smelly old hippopotamus.

6. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

TEFL not necessarily as useless as people here say. I know of partners that work in language schools during the day while their spouse teaches international school. The payment doesn't tend to be much though.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Asthma and environmental allergies tend to be really personal and specific to locations. For example, here in Malaysia, many families report that asthma isn’t as bad as in other countries, despite higher pollution levels.
    Pollution is never good for anyone, but your triggers are unique to you, so your reaction and quality of life are hard to predict.
    My environmental allergies were at their worst in a country where asthma sufferers did well overall, and vice versa.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

A visit is the most effective way to tell, though an expensive option.

9. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Can you not move this summer (2018) and take advantage of having an EU passport? Plenty of places in Eastern Europe will have loads of job opportunities for TEFL teachers and seem to offer school teachers relocation allowances and flights (unlike Western Europe).

10. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Brexit ain’t going to happen...... There will be another referendum.

tallpoppy71 likes this.
  11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Add thailand, vietnam, cambodia to the list. Loads of opportunities for your partner there, and lots of schools for you to apply to.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If your partner has a TEFL certificate, there is a chance he will be taken on by whatever school employs you in some minor role.

13. ScotLass33

ScotLass33 New commenter

Thanks everyone, have sent a couple of conversations.

There are many reasons for waiting till 2019. We won't be married until then and want to take some time to research and get my cv in good shape.

As far as I know it will be the end of this year that jobs for 2019 get advertised.

My partner doesn't have a degree so PGDE isn't an option.

Thanks for the additions for our list dumbbells. Will look at those places.

The asthma thing is just a worry that I don't even know is justified. My allergies are dust, pollen and pet hair. So may not even be an issue. I just don't want to get there and realise that it is. A visit is most probably a no go financially.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You can find love pollution trackers online. China isn't just a concern for people with Asthma, its a concern for humans. I wouldn't dream of taking children there.

15. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, recently Mrs Hippopotamus has had some health issues and it seems that these are caused by the air pollution here in Shenzhen. I have to say that I have never had any sore throats or chest pains, but I suppose that it will affect different people in different ways. On a couple of days this week, my students were not allowed outside at playtime and so they had to stay in their classrooms. At one point the PM level was 260 (100 is considered unhealthy). Well, yes, it is a concern, but then again I am sure that there are other cities around the world that also have pollution. Maybe we would feel differently if we had to consider the health of some baby hippos.

ScotLass33 and T0nyGT like this.
  16. tigi

As someone with similar allergies and asthma I wouldn't touch China with a bargepole. I've got friends who got seriously ill there and are very relieved to have left. Some people are fine though but if you already have health issues I'd steer clear.

ScotLass33 likes this.
  17. ScotLass33

ScotLass33 New commenter

Yeah I am worried about the pollution. Is it a worry in other places around China? Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand? These places really appeal but pollution issues may be a deal breaker.

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

I have been to vietnam and thailand a LOT, and i would honestly move there in a heartbeat. I have a number of friends in both countries, some with kids, and some that have also worked in China....lets have a guess whether they preferred China or Thailand.... in their words "its a million times better".

Its all relative, and obviously its up to you, but just remember that these are developing countries and they aren't "like it is back home".....not that the UK is polution free though:)

19. tigi

Lots of pollution in the big cities there. HCMC is more polluted than much if China and 90 percent of children have respiratory illness by 5.

20. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

HCMC is up to 156 today in the red.

Just checking where I am compared to London, they are just about the same today. In the green/yellow zone.