1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where shining unicorns poop rainbow sprinkles

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Some thoughts inspired by gulfgolf's splendid phrase on the 'teaching in the USA' thread:

I joined this forum about 20 years ago. Members were notably helpful, especially to newcomers (Am I alone in loathing that hideous term 'newbie'?) and this has not changed, though the place is notably somnolent compared to then. Up to about five years ago there was a lot of banter and a certain amount of cut-and-thrust. This has largely disappeared, owing in part to the moderators' uneven 'policy' of censoring any post to which anyone objects and leaving most of the rest to find its own level. Over-sensitivity to any kind of criticism has been increasingly apparent as the snowflake generation has gradually filtered into the teaching profession.

This topic has been covered many times. Please do a forum search.
    No way. I want you to spoon-feed me like dear Miss Reid used to do.

I splutter into my breakfast brandy when I see such tabby cats as makhnovite and the pachyderm stigmatized as the arch-villains of the forum. Does nobody here remember the veritably Augustan abrasiveness of such giants-in-the-earth as Phoney Pharaoh? Is there no more virtue in calling a spade a bloody shovel?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Whatever happened to MisterMaker? Was he ever unmasked?

The forum faces the same problems as most other internet forums. There are a solid band of 'oldies' who still use the place as a social hub rather than just informational. They see the same threads day by day by fly-by-night contributors who in turn see the place as aggressive because they don't have the POV of the regulars.

Add that to the fact that people generally have other digital avenues for their social interaction and so are less likely to use a forum like they may have 10 years ago and the problem being confounded by the lack of new permanent entrants to the social circle.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You should see my posts on the ***, where you can say ”Bears S.h.!.t in the Woods”, without it been censored.

But since this is the most know source of online information it gets the most clicks.

4. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

He was in the Indian press ;)

Last seen on a self-appointed mercy mission to help benighted refugees. As if they hadn't suffered enough.

T0nyGT likes this.
  5. SPC2

Also, I'd suggest, a degree of risk aversion:

'I've been teaching 18 months, 17 of them as a Head of Department, 16 of them on the SLT of an OFSTED Absolutely Phenomenal school. Please tell me I will be immediately snapped up by any school I apply for and it will be a seamless transition without any anxiety, stress or need to change anything in my worldview or practice and merely a case of soaking up the sunshine and banking the bunce. Oh, and can I take my budgie?'

...reads the occasional post, or something similar.

T0nyGT and kemevez like this.
  6. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I remember (years ago, haven't been able to forget) an overwhelming feeling of scorn for the question "Will I be able to get Birkenstocks or should I take them" from someone heading off, to the far east I think.

Moving away for the first time is nerve-wracking and I have some sympathy for that need for reassurance but when the same questions come round time and time again it does seem as those who ask them are lacking in some kind of investigative skills.

7. SPC2

I've got no problem with practicalities, just the sometimes seeming notion of, 'Just tell me it's a dead cert before I even bother applying'.

The forum is still informative, though. I even found myself looking online at property in Bulgaria the other day...

[​IMG]

We all know who blame! Still, the prospect of a rural pile for the price of an ex-Council flat next door to a crack den back in the UK did me thinking. I've always fancied myself as Lord of the Manor.

towncryer and dumbbells66 like this.
  8. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I miss @smtdude - a loss to the community.

miketribe and Mainwaring like this.
  9. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Careless drivers do indeed mount footpaths to avoid collisions with milk trucks.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Living in Bulgaria, SPC2? Where did you get that crazy idea?

11. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Me, too... I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago. Charming and highly informed man... a great loss... I think if Mainwaring ever gives up posting, I won’t bother anymore, either. The forum really isn’t what it was anymore...

karel and oldgit like this.
  12. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I met him at a conference recently, although I don't think that he realised that I knew about his TES alter ego.

I concur

karel likes this.
  13. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I also miss @smtdude and had the pleasure of corresponding with him a few years about a possible job at his school.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    yasf likes this.
  14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Mrs M and I had the great pleasure of entertaining Mr and Mrs Dude to lunch on our Andalusian terrace a few years ago.

Mike Tribe, your comment is appreciated. I did cease posting for a while. When I later returned for a look around I found myself in a bit of a spat with a newish poster who seemed to be here for the express purpose of telling us all how clever they were. When I declined to accept this view I was rebuked for 'arguing for arguing's sake'. I made zero progress when I tried to engage in a discussion about the difference between an an argument and a quarrel and between a fact and an assertion. I do hope this person isn't teaching ToK in one of Mr Dumbell's beloved non-British schools.I'm still looking for a good argument. Anyone?

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Pressure of work means I lack the time to be rude to people online. I keep it to who gets the comfy chair in the staff room.

16. SPC2

I know...madness!

P.S. when I move in, can I pop round to borrow a cup of sugar?

17. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Good comments all, guys, I was beginning to think it was just me. Although it still might be of course, as Joseph Heller said in Catch 22 - 'Just because your'e paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you'

PS: would that be the one 5 minute argument for a pound Capt. or the full course of 10.

18. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Catch 22. Best novel ever?