1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where shall we go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I think we may actually get away for a couple of days this year. Can you please recommend your fave hotel? Needs to be in striking distance of East Mids, and would really like somewhere in town so that we can leave the car and walk or somewhere in lovely countryside so that we can leave the car and walk.
    Thanks!

2. Skeggy.

3. Oops - forgot to mention - needs not to be Skegvegas, OK?

4. Ingoldmells.

5. How far is striking distance, gorgy?

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Bakewell?
    York?

7. Cottage in the Peak District? (Does it have to be a hotel?)
    It will probably rain though.....[​IMG]
    Lots of walking to be done and little towns and villages to visit too.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What about camping in Norfolk?
    My daughter finds beautiful places full of wildlife and goes off with her twitcher partner for peaceful and idyllic weekends about once a fortnight, lucky bogger!

9. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

Blue Boar Fakenham Norfolk
    Food is good... places to visit...not far from N Norfolk coast, Pensthorpe, other wildlife centres...

10. I love this hotel: http://uk.nomao.com/49967038.html

Based in Ripley - lovely yorkshire countryside, fantastic food and just 10 minutes from harrogate for shopping if it too rainy...

11. Well! Thanks for all your thoughtful replies! Striking distance is, I suppose, three hours max away from Loughborough which is our closest town. Harrogate and York look nice, Giraffe, thanks but I am afraid I am not a camping kind of girl! Archy I am being hugely optimistic if I said a couple of nights, so I don;t think a cottage would do it.
    Bauble - no. Nor Mablethorpe. As I said, thanks for the thoughtful replies though.
    XX

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

York - so much to do here [​IMG]

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You're quite right, Skegness, Ingolmells and Mablethorpe are not what you want, try Cleethorpes instead!

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

this is good
    http://www.riversidehousehotel.co.uk/index.html
    sorry broken link - riverside house hotel ashford in the water.
    the pub food in the local bar is excellent so I wouldn't bother eating here.
    The Old Hall Hotel in Buxton is good too.

16. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Another vote for York. Lovely place. Loads to to. And I can thoroughly recommend La Rustique for a meal.

17. Or Stratford - about an hour and loads to see and do (even without Barding it).
    But I'd go to York....

18. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Have you ever thought of East Northamptonshire? There are some lovely old towns and villages. Oundle is nice and there is Fotheringhay and Elton. The Crown Inn at Elton has good accomodation and good food. Lovely countryside and walks. The Nene Way is a good route with plenty of village pubs to stop at en-route. We live in South Leicestershire and often go over there to explore and walk.
    It would be about 1 to 1 1/2 hours from where you live.
    The Peak District is another place. The village of Hartington has a lovely hotel called the Charles Cotton. Again some great food there. From there, it is easy to get to Bakewell, Buxton, Ashbourne and the Tissington cycle/walking trail passes by the edge of the village.
    Have a good time, whatever you decide to do.

19. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

And what's wrong with good old Mablethorpe?! We've just spent the day on the beach there, kite flying, building sandcastles, swimming in the invigorating North Sea and eating sandy sandwiches knocked back by sandy squash. What more could you want on such a glorious day!

20. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Oh, this brought back memories!
    As a child growing up in Leicestershire, we went on day trips to Mablethorpe many times! [​IMG]