1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where shall i start?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cleocleoteacher, Feb 27, 2012.

1. hi
    I've got a meet and greet session with a 10 year old pupil I might be tutoring later in the week. I was going to do the I can statements as I thought that was a good idea, let him see them and tick what he thinks he can do so I can use this to plan for the paid sessions.
    The dad said he's at 10+ level, I assuming that means he's 10 but I am not sure if he is Year 5 or Year 6. What level should I start my I can statements on? What level are they expected to be at by the end of Year 5 and the end of Year 6?
    Also, the tutoring is for maths and literacy. There are so many LO's for each area, should I just choose a couple from each one?

2. hi
    I've got a meet and greet session with a 10 year old pupil I might be tutoring later in the week. I was going to do the I can statements as I thought that was a good idea, let him see them and tick what he thinks he can do so I can use this to plan for the paid sessions.
    The dad said he's at 10+ level, I assuming that means he's 10 but I am not sure if he is Year 5 or Year 6. What level should I start my I can statements on? What level are they expected to be at by the end of Year 5 and the end of Year 6?
    Also, the tutoring is for maths and literacy. There are so many LO's for each area, should I just choose a couple from each one?

3. Hi Cleocleo
    For a similar aged student, I started with the NC level 3 statements, then had a second sheet with the NC level 4 statements (only the ones that are new for level 4), and an extension sheet with NC level 5 statements (only the ones that are new for level 5). This resulted in about 20 statements on each sheet (for just the Maths ones).
    I worked on the assumption that by the end of KS2 an average student is approx level 4, and so in Y5 might be a bit lower - on the other hand, the parent seems to suggest brighter than average....
    I hope this helps.
    Liz