1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where next?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Sammy0709, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I am feeling very trapped. I love being a teacher but find the politics, paperwork and bullying and bitchiness despressing.
    I work hard and am keen to improve but stuck on where to go next.
    I have been a teacher 5 years, I have started a Masters but had to postone my final year due to lack support at school for my course and for funding it.(I can't afford to pay for it myself at the moment)
    I have subject responsibility but not core subject. I have taken on additional responsibilities and have achieved a great deal. I have travelled and look at teaching in other countries.
    I have limited support in terms of my professional development - anything I have wanted to do I get part of a chance to do but nothing comes of it.

I have been in the same job for five years - same school - one change of year group and a few extra bits and pieces done.

I feel like I am going no -where? What can I do to invigorate my career.

Leave seems like the only answer!

2. I am feeling very trapped. I love being a teacher but find the politics, paperwork and bullying and bitchiness despressing.
    I work hard and am keen to improve but stuck on where to go next.
    I have been a teacher 5 years, I have started a Masters but had to postone my final year due to lack support at school for my course and for funding it.(I can't afford to pay for it myself at the moment)
    I have subject responsibility but not core subject. I have taken on additional responsibilities and have achieved a great deal. I have travelled and look at teaching in other countries.
    I have limited support in terms of my professional development - anything I have wanted to do I get part of a chance to do but nothing comes of it.

I have been in the same job for five years - same school - one change of year group and a few extra bits and pieces done.

I feel like I am going no -where? What can I do to invigorate my career.

Leave seems like the only answer!

3. I presume that you are Primary? If so, I fully understand how politics, paperwork, bullying and bitchiness gets to you...
    My personal advice - look to change schools if you wish to stay in schools - but you'll need to decide in what direction you are going to make it a worthwhile move...but bear in mind that CPD budgets have been slashed, many of the recent posts such as ASTs are dwindling, more and more is being pushed on to teachers without renumeration/credence that may have previously been so....
    Alternatively, you need to totally re-evaluate what it is you wish to do with your career....
    Having sat where you are, I have tried both of the above for a significant number of years, before doing the latter - being brave enough to take the plunge and am now in a position that I utterly adore, and now have the attached credence (and luckilly closer to the appropriate financial renumeration though this may have been a fluke!)
    Incidentally, I would take whatever opprtunities you have had re CPD - however partial, as probably more of a bonus than what you haven't had - key is to sell yourself based on what you have got rather than emphasising what you haven't had/got!