1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the new teachers’ job site the Government promised?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by binaryhex, Apr 4, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anyone seen it, yet? You know, the one that was going to save £60 million a year in schools advertising jobs in places like TES, money that could be given back to schools.

After 4 years, you would have expected it to be built, tested, widely advertised and promoted and widely used, the go-to-first site for teachers looking for a job.

But oh no. Another total disaster by the Government, poor implemented, poorly managed, wasted money, and poorly promoted. Not withstanding that any A Level student worth their salt could have knocked up a prototype over a weekend for a few hundred quid, why has it taken 4 years to get hardly anywhere?

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I suspect another sound bite that deflect from the real issue of teacher shortages and lack of pay. Those with long memories will remember the old ICT KS3 SATs test that were going to be done online and a certain company was commissioned to create the online test and eventually it was abandoned costing millions. Then there was BSF again a lot of money spent and then the plug pulled. I could go on and on. A deflection from the need for more good quality teachers, with a realistic workload, being paid a decent wage.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Originally announced March 2016 Education White Paper and launched June 2018 so just over 2 years - I guess they seconded everyone working on it to the Brexit Department, which is why almost every initiative in DfE has ground to a halt :)

You are thinking of the Teaching Vacancies website which Stiltskin has linked. It was launched as a pilot last June in a couple of regions and went national in January. So your school can register to use it for free now and you can search it for jobs now. It's been publicised by unions as well as the DfE. Not really fair of you to call it a "total disaster" when apparently you haven't even seen it yet!

There's a separate service that is supposed to allow schools to use supply agencies more cheaply, the 'Deal for schools'. That's also up and running since last September, but not something teachers seeking another job can use.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/deal-for-schools-hiring-supply-teachers-and-agency-workers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Incidentally, previous threads on this subject have been removed by TES Admin without explanation. Now I wonder why that could be....

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Scotland has a website which advertises all local government jobs, including teachers.

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/

Maybe the government has a similar thing in mind for England.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

https://teaching-vacancies.service.gov.uk/

Yes, that's the one and it's ******STILL****** in BETA!!!!!!!

It was first announced about 4 years ago, plans firmed up 3 years ago and someone appointed to write it shortly after for a million quid!!!! I'd seen the site a year ago and it seems the same. Just over a thousand jobs currently on it (there are about 8000 on the TES site, and don't get me started on how much it costs to advertise in the magazine!) suggesting very few schools know about it or are using it i.e. a complete failure of marketing and communication (not to mention a lot of money wasted).

There will be a whole new generation of teachers in place before this ever really takes off!

8. Rott Weiler

First announced in March 2016 Education White Paper para 2.13 according to DfE, 2y 3 month before pilot launch, unless you know of an earlier announcement? Not that it matters much. It's appeared at breakneck speed compared to some other DfE initiatives - registration of Home Schooling first proposed 2009, Consultation document issued this week!

You do seem to be extraordinarily angry about this minor issue, the website is useful but hardly the most important challenge in education at the moment.