1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the motivation?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Catbean, Jan 14, 2014.

1. I'm in my second year of teaching and last October my school went into special measures. I feel like a lot of the problems were around before I started and have received very little support (I was co-ordinating three subjects in my nqt year as it is a small school).

My contract is only until the end of the year but recently things have become unbearable. The workload along with unprofessional, upsetting comments from senior management has become so bad that I am now signed off work along with three other members of staff.

To begin with I thought I could get through it and it would look good on my cv but I now realise that my contract would be up before we are out of special measures anyway. I am starting to think what is the point of working myself silly only to be criticised and then have my contract ended anyway. I have lost any motivation that I had at the start but worry that this is a horrendous start to my teaching career.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

This is happening everywhere it is just awful. It is just the same with schools in RI now. Get yourself well first. That is your priority. I don't know your financial commitments but if you can resign and do some supply you might be then in a better position emotionally to get a new job for September. I know there are some good happy schools to work in out there. If you do supply locally you might get a way in to a school that you have already 'tested' by working on supply first.

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I totally agree with May2.

Look after yourself first. There is a lot of all this going on in schools and you are in no way to blame. I have experienced similar situation in another school and made the mistake of staying to the end of my Contract. In hindsight, I wished I had left much earlier as I put myself through hell but received no appreciation at the end of it which felt like a kick in the teeth. I bitterly regret working so hard there and putting my health and sanity on the back burner. A colleague was signed off with long term stress and I had to step into his shoes and the school provided no support whatsoever. There was also a lot of "politics" which harmed me emotionally. A lot of backstabbing, even though I ignored it and focused on my work, it was difficult.

So definitely, put your health and sanity first!!! No question. It's really not worth it.