1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the manual for coping with pre-pubescent almost in puberty offspring?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 21, 2011.

1. LOL

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The late great John Peel put it beautifully when he said that his teenage son's bedroom floor was the only weapon he had left for resisting his parents with.

3. I know it's not the done thing, and many people would probably say I shouldn't, but...
    I regularly clean my sons' room as I cannot bear the accumulation of stuff!
    Under the bed appears to be the natural habitat for all the missing socks and undies that somehow can't find the washing basket.

4. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

At 11, I don't mind "girlfriends" or "boyfriends" but only in the most loose sense of the term.
    They can talk to each other, text each other, go out in a group of friends etc, but I wouldbe discouraging them being alone with each other etc, until they are a little older.
    It's too much pressure for kids of that age.
    My daughter and a lovely boy are supposed to be "going out".
    His mum and I are quite friendly, and thankfully we both have similar views.
    They have been to the cinema a few times, in a large group of friends, and I don't even think they sat next to each other.
    She says friends in school have been teasing her to kiss him, but she doesn't want to and nor does he, and I have told her that this is fine, and she shouldn't feel under any pressure to do so. I have encouraged her to be open with the boy and tell him that their teasing makes her uncomfortable, and he understands that, and is very considerate of her.
    As I say, he is a lovely boy, and is so sweet with her and very mindful of her feelings.
    At this stage the relationship consists only of texts, phone calls, and being in a group of friends. I think that is more than enough for now.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Seriously sound advice ^^^^