1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the manual for coping with pre-pubescent almost in puberty offspring?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 21, 2011.

1. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Just wait until you catch her doing an eye roll over something you said, then you're in trouble...

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Could you tell him to start by just giving her a quick kiss on the cheek to say goodbye or hello and see how she responds. I was so terrified that if I kissed a boy (and partly because I didn't know how) that he'd want to go out with me and my parents wouldn't approve that I didn't have one til I was 16!

3. Well, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I have to admit, I found all this bringing up of children much easier where I just stuffed them with the food I had decided on and bought them clothes and made them wear them and then told them to go off and tidy their room.
    All this "I am getting older and have feelings too and please take them into account and give me sound advice and if it is wrong I am going to blame you" is quite a new experience.

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Well that might be where I'd start, by saying that there are no guarantees and that no matter how how good the advice is, things can go wrong - it's all part of growing up and becoming (gulp) a man. Not sure if you want to go down that road of course :)

5. [​IMG]
    I want my baby back - not some leggy monster wanting aftershave and preening himself in the mirror.
    I want him to eat sprouts and watch Disney films and cuddle up to me in bed of a morning and make me Mother's Day cards and give me that cute smile and giggle rather than this "I don't know whether to tell you or not cos it is not cool cos you are my Mum" look.
    Ye Gads, turn the clock back.
    He'll be wanting sex soon - oh me, oh my. And I will be thinking of cleaning that wee little ***** and then what he is doing with it now...oh no, oh no.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Mine still do this :)

7. Yours are older, no?
    So there IS hope? It is just a phase, right?
    I did manage to make him laugh this morning by tickling him but then he suddenly said "Enough, Mama, I am 11!"

8. [​IMG]
    Brace yourself for some... er... 'fun' years CQ. [​IMG]

9. Ahhhhhhh. I see.
    CQ, in my experience they are still human, loveable and quite cute at that age. Give him a couple of years...You'll have no idea what he is thinking then. I doubt if he'll want to share it with you. (That is perhaps a good thing.)
    Heh heh. [​IMG]

10. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Yes and yes but it depends on all sorts of other factors too.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Altogether now on the count of three, one... two... three...
    "Your baby's not you're baby any moooooooooooooore"

Make the most of the bit before high school folks, then batten down the hatches and trim sail - there's a storm a'comin'.

12. magic surf bus

..and spot the deliberate spelling error there.

13. Oh my God - look at the state of that room!

14. choochoo

choochoo New commenter

That is a tidy one !!

15. God help me...

16. magic surf bus

Carpet still visible and only a couple of used plates? That's a Grade A* bedroom.

17. Can I just skip the teenage years and pretend they are not there?
    Am I going to find pizza boxes under the bed?

18. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Ha! That and a lot worse.

19. magic surf bus

If you've got any sense you won't even look under the bed until they've left home. In fact get a bed that's impossible to put things under. If you get one of those space saving single bunk beds you're DOOMED d'ye hear? DOOOOOOMED!

Take the legs off and bolt the bed to the floor.