1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the manual for coping with pre-pubescent almost in puberty offspring?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 21, 2011.

1. My son is In Love.
    He is so In Love that he was in a right mardy all of the Christmas holidays because he couldn't see his girlfriend.
    Tonight...oh heck, I am out of my depth.
    Daughter was doing the teasing thing...hahahaha, kissing behind the bike sheds and all that.
    I told her to shut her trap (well, I said it more politely than that).
    She is now asleep and son is nodding off but when I took him to bed and gave him his goodnight kiss he said
    "Mummy, don't tell her (sister) but I haven't kissed her yet. What if she doesn't want to kiss me? And when and how do you kiss a girl?".
    I am lost - I have never been a boy! What do I say to comfort or advise him?
    I mumbled something totally useless about "when the time is right" and suggested we talk about it when he is less tired (that is me trying to bide time...)

2. My son is In Love.
    He is so In Love that he was in a right mardy all of the Christmas holidays because he couldn't see his girlfriend.
    Tonight...oh heck, I am out of my depth.
    Daughter was doing the teasing thing...hahahaha, kissing behind the bike sheds and all that.
    I told her to shut her trap (well, I said it more politely than that).
    She is now asleep and son is nodding off but when I took him to bed and gave him his goodnight kiss he said
    "Mummy, don't tell her (sister) but I haven't kissed her yet. What if she doesn't want to kiss me? And when and how do you kiss a girl?".
    I am lost - I have never been a boy! What do I say to comfort or advise him?
    I mumbled something totally useless about "when the time is right" and suggested we talk about it when he is less tired (that is me trying to bide time...)

3. How old is your son?

4. I suspect my boys would sooner have soaked their appendages in petrol and set light to them rather than ask me for advice about girls (much less admit they didn't know it all already) so I think you've done quite well with him!
    Re the advice: how about "Avoid shoving your tongue down her throat", "Avoid pickled onion Monster Munch from now on just in case" and "Don't you know you can get AIDS from kissing?" to be going on with.

5. 11
    This is The Real Thing.

6. ah, yes, thanks...errrrm
    But I know for a fact he wouldn't ask his bleddy Dad!

7. He's 11 (eleven)!! Hell, I didn't even notice people of the feminine persuasion until I was 14 or so - too busy playing footy and hanging around street corners in Ferryhill. They start early these days don't they?

8. Anyway I can't help as I raised two daughters and that was plenty traumatic enough in the "true lurrrv" stakes.
    And it still is and they are both adults!

9. Ah bless him. Just don't tell him for now that the doubts and anxieties and isecurities never really go away......

10. LOL - the first thing that went through my head was "this will all end in tears".
    Oh God - sometimes I wish I could just cherry pick the nice bits about being a Mum and ignore the rest.

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If there was a manual that gave prior indications of the problems of incipient teenagerhood, then all parents would eat their young

12. [​IMG]

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Never mind kissing, have they pinched each others' pencil cases yet? That's true love.

14. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

They do seem to start early don't they? At eleven the boys I knew were still into action man and football.

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No, you're wrong there!....True love is when you share a bottle of lemonade (the sort with the marble in the top!) and don't wipe the top before taking your swig!....or at least that's what we believed!

16. Today he asked if we could go clothes shopping.
    He has never been the slightest bit interested in clothes in his life.
    He also asked at what age he could start wearing aftershave. I suggested he should wait until he actually needs to shave.
    God, he'll be asking for something totally alien like deodorant or clean socks next.

17. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It will get worse...

just wait 'til she breaks his heart.

Good luck with this one CQ!

18. Yes, I am dreading that
    My poor baby [​IMG]

19. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I can promise they do recover, although you may not have the son you know for a little while, he will return.
    Now girls, just you wait...

20. LOL!
    Yes, I have got that coming too.
    She was very pernickity this morning when we were clothes shopping - son had dashed off to the changing room (see - he is ill!) and she was umming and ahhing - "No, I couldn't possibly wear that to school".
    Jeeeeeeeeeeze.