1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the difference between ups3 and a TLR?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by helsav, Oct 20, 2015.

1. helsav

helsav New commenter

I find myself in a situation where I am coordinating staff and students in school and needing to provide cover work for an absent colleague. My line manager for this does not have any understanding of what is required in this role and as such the other staff involved in the teaching and support are having to come to me, despite me teaching a full timetable. I have a meeting with SLT coming up to discuss the situation. Any suggestions or guidance. I know I haven't given many details but don't want to cause myself further problems in school if I can help it.
    Thanks in advance

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To answer your thread question... UPS3 is a pay grade for long serving and experienced staff [and in some SLT eyes a big target for capability] while a TLR is an additional payment on top of your pay scale salary in return for you fulfilling some aspect of greater school responsibility.

E.g. Head of House, Subject Leader in Art etc.

As for your post and the issues raised... could you be a bit more specific? Where is the confusion coming from? Is it your confusion or has the absent colleague left things in the lurch?

3. helsav

helsav New commenter

The confusion comes from the department being wound down and there only being me who has some training in the area left. I feel I'm being asked to do far more than the normal ups3 role and feel the role I'm expected to complete has more in common with a hod than a classroom teacher.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

UPS3, or any other point on the upper pay range, is above the main pay range so can be awarded to any teacher. The only national criteria remaining is that teachers should be 'highly competent' in the Teachers' Standards and have made a 'sustained and substantial contribution' to their schools. Beyond that, other requirements should be set out in your school's pay policy. Theoretically, you could be asked to do pretty much anything. An exception is if you crossed the threshold before national pay scales were scrapped and have stayed at the same school. Then, you can continue to be on the upper pay range and stick to classroom duties only.

A TLR is a specific responsibility within a school's staffing structure, which must be applied for. It is paid on top of your normal salary (be it MPR or UPR). TLRs are normally permanent, though TLR3s can be given for short term responsibilities (though, again, they must (temporarily) be part of the school's staffing structure.

5. helsav

helsav New commenter

The absent colleague has no training in the area and on their return I am being expected to support them and 'teach' them how to teach the subject so to speak

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@helsav

I'm not sure any responsibility comes with a UPS3 [although with the contractual freedom schools have these days it might be that some people have roles dumped on them by manipulative HTs who expect more from their staff].

The TLR is a responsibility. If you're the only teacher left then I can see why you are being expected to act as HoD although surely that is a discussion for you and either your HT or a HR rep to address workload expectations?

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

If you are covering for an absent colleague you should be able to expect a bit of flexibility from SLT. Take a tutor group off you or something, or offer to cover a lesson of yours to free up a bit of time to sort out cover work. It is a gesture of goodwill though, and not a right I suppose.

Reality is though in, say, a 2 person department, you will have to step up if they go off, regardless of TLR or anything.

On the supporting the absent colleague when they come back, sorry, I think this is making a contribution to the wider school. Using your expertise to help support your colleagues is what I would expect a UPS teacher to be doing, in particular one at the top of the scale. Yes, this will make a bit more work, but not a ridiculous amount and not something that is really taking away from your own teaching.

If you said on here that you were routinely doing the role of a HoD, with the responsibility that comes with it, I would say you were totally in the right to complain. From what you have said you are not though.