1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where is the bulkhead on a car?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sideshow, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I get that is part of the structure that devides the sections of a ship - I've seen Titanic - what is it on a car? I am looking for my VIN number.

2. Think I have found it - holding up the main big black engine bit? And the VIN number is raised numbers and letters on it?

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Lift bonnet. Look in area under windscreen at the top of the "bukhead". Essentially it is the metal layer between the engine compartment and passenger compartment. VIN is often in a funny raised bit at the side, sort of at the top of the wing and where it joins said bukhead. May be near the root of the winscreen wipers.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You got it. It should match what is on your registration document.

5. That makes sense! The number that I have found has too many digits to be the VIN... going to have another look! Thanks!

6. No, I have found it - 17 numbers. I can't find my registration document - applying for a new one, that is why I need it!

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

your vin plate will look something like
    [​IMG]

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If it is a newish car there will also be a Vin No tucked low down behind the windscreen on the passenger side, you read it by looking in from the outside of the car.

9. That is the one that I found - it's everywhere on the engine on the car when you know what you are looking for.

10. Common fellows rub them out and make your car a "ringer" x

11. Surely you checked the VIN number against the registration document when you bought the car anyway??

12. I bought the car new - but when you apply for a new registration document they ask for the VIN number - I suppose to check that the car you want the document for is the car on your driveway?