1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the best place to warn teachers about bad practice/bad treatment from schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sashabaz, Jun 9, 2020.

1. sashabaz

sashabaz New commenter

I have recently moved away from an absolute nightmare school and now, having spoken to others who have left/are leaving, have discovered they treat the majority of staff who leave (for whatever reason) with an extremely unprofessional, disrespectful and spiteful manner.
    A number of examples, but not exhaustive:
    - During lockdown they have tried to dock me pay for not being in school
    - They purposefully delay references, and then send the absolute minimum reference (I fact put right lying on there by saying things like “we wouldn’t stand in their way” even when they have made multiple attempts to get you to stay)
    - they tried to fail an NQT retrospectively once they were informed of an intent to leave
    - they move your classroom to a room which does not have full length walls and is effectively open to noise from the entire school (the layout of the building means all noise echoes everywhere)
    - they disrespect staff members who are off of mental health reasons
    - they call out “underperforming staff” and hold up “amazing staff” with no comparison or thought to load, class sizes and banding. E.g an RE teacher got amazing results, with a class of 20 and a low load. A maths teacher got good results, but was told “the 8-9 grades didn’t count” for them.
    I could go on, but I wanted to keep it anonymous for now.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry you've had bad time.

Is your union supporting you?

In answer to your thread title, TES isn't the place to name specific schools. It's forbidden by TES T&C.

If you think it qualifies for a whistleblowing disclosure you could use that route. But I'd get union advice before doing that.

Jonntyboy, TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  3. sashabaz

sashabaz New commenter

thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a taboo thing , hence the anonymity. (Although if you’d worked there you would know almost immediately!)
    Yes thanks, my union has been VERY helpful, but as it’s an academy there isn’t a real union presence from within. Possibly why they get away with what they do. Not all of the examples are mine, but they are first hand from people I know personally.
    Thanks again.

4. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

There's no easy way other than word of mouth and this takes time - there's a high performing school in my area where almost nobody applies for a job. Word of mouth has spread and it's very much like the school you describe! Even the university we're attached to advises NQTs off the record no to apply to this school as most NQTs it has sent there are driven out of teaching in their first year.

5. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

I would say as well that if you attend local (district) union meetings regularly, it becomes clear pretty quickly which local schools nearby to you have a good reputation, and which don't... can come in handy if thinking about switching schools... Not necessarily a place to offload, but a good way to quickly gain local knowledge of schools if you have just moved into the area for example.

6. sashabaz

sashabaz New commenter

Great idea, unfortunately this school does not have ANY union presence within, due to being an academy and the Head’s very low opinion of such things. So little warning can be given.

my limited 2 school experience of academies has been this way. People are part of the union (although at my last place I don’t think this was the case) but make no real use of it. Lots of NQTs and trainee teachers who don’t realise how places should be run is likely the cause.
    I’m sure there are some good academies out there, but I’m sceptical due to my personal history.

7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

If you’re in a union, get in touch with the local rep. I’ve always found them to be sympathetic and helpful. I’m sure the rep would be up for a chat about the schools in your area. They’re always in a position to know about schools even if they don’t have members.

Good luck, it’s tough out there!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

One can understand that, of course.

But it's a shame that there isn't some forum somewhere where you can find accurate information about appalling school management.

I suppose the problem would be that you would get both genuine and false information from people depending on their individual motivation and circumstances.

I look at *** from time to time, as I'm sometimes tempted to think about working abroad, and I find a fair level of consensus, but there are those on here who have criticized it in the past. However, I have two good friends who currently work abroad, and they report that their own school's review on *** is generally accurate, so that is food for thought.

Edit: I have noticed that the publication I mentioned has been starred out. Not sure why that is, but it refers to a site where one can post reviews of schools not in the UK at which one works or has worked.

9. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Always go the union route. Many years ago, I remember a union newsletter being sent out which advised members not to apply for any jobs at a particular nearby school (due to a new Headteacher going more than a little bit power crazy).

Jonntyboy likes this.
  10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I think it should be compulsory for schools to record their annual staff turnover along with their results and budgets. That says a lot.

Jonntyboy, Bungie and agathamorse like this.
  11. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

A teacher who was bullied by the Head told his union. They said: "We know all about your headteacher." Three other staff from the same school had already taken him to an industrial tribunal and won large payouts, but they were too scared to tell their colleagues!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Agreed

agathamorse likes this.