1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where is the best place to look for a post overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by svxenos, Oct 27, 2015.

1. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Hello,

I'm a UK trained EYFS teacher who's going to work overseas by hook or by crook next year. I've a few basic questions I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer.

-Where is the best place to look for a post? On TES? On Eteach? Should I go to a jobs fair? There seem to be a lot of fairs out there (based on a google search!), but they expect you to pay - which one should I go to?

-Is getting work through an agency as horrible as it is being a supply teacher in the UK - i.e, where the pay and conditions aren't great, you don't get much support from the agency and the school sees you as disposable?

-I'm going overseas for a number of reasons, but one is that I'm looking for a better work/life balance. Is this a myth? (I'd go anyway, I reckon ;-) )

TIA

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Lots of these have been answered before so you're not likely to get a lot of responses. I'll tell you as much as I can.

Jobs - look on TES, also think about some of the places you might like to live and see what schools there are hiring. Check school websites and apply there. Job fairs are good though I've not been to one. ECIS and Search are the ones I have heard of the most from colleagues.

From what I've read on here from others, perhaps avoid agencies. There are better options.

My partner and I work very hard at our school, but we have a good life here and enjoy work and our lives a lot more than we did in the UK. Top tier schools will get their monies worth out of you but there are up sides. The kids are great (though not everywhere - see threads on the ME), and in the whole the behaviour is much less of a problem than we faced in the UK.

Hope that helps at least a little. Maybe one of the more experienced contributors will stop by and help.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Recruitment agencies for international schools are rather different to supply agencies in the UK, svxenos.

No, most jobfairs are free for candidates. (Well, the SEARCH ones certainly used to be.) However, that will not help you much because you will still (in most cases) have to pay for transport and hotel accommodation in order to attend the fair.

Does this mean that jobfairs are a much more expenive way of getting a job in an international school? Or much cheaper? Well, that rather depends on quite a lot of different factors. First of all, it is qute possible to get a job very cheaply, WITHOUT attending a jobfair. If your school is happy to give you a SKYPE interview, then of course you do not need to jump onto a plane and attend a jobfair. However, quite a few schools, especially the rather better ones, do still put a lot of emphasis upon face-to-face meetings. Secondly, jobfairs also give you an opportunity to network and to meet other teachers who perhaps have taught in this particular country and maybe in that particular school.

Having said all that, there will also be a number of schools that do not attend the jobfairs and they will rely on TES adverts, other adverts and, if those are unsuccessful, the recruiting agencies. Generally speaking, I would say that the better international schools prefer to go to jobfairs and the naff schools do not, but maybe that is an unhelpful and inaccurate generalisation.

On this TES forum, you can read a lot about "top tier" schools, but there is really little or no agreement about what is and what is not a "top tier" school. Another thing to bear in mind, as ejclibrarian points out, is that some so-called "top tier" schools will want their pound of flesh and will make you work a lot harder, whereas another school in the same area might have a much more relaxed atmoshere. A school's reputation is not a fixed thing, nor is it alwas deserved.

4. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

indeed.co.uk lists all jobs in a given area of study, e.g. maths including national and international vacancies.

5. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I have used Search in the past and would recommend them. I believe it's free to join them, at least the UK office used to be. I paid to be a candidate though since at the time I lived closer to Bangkok and thus joined their office. I think it was worth it.
    Search will only accept you if they think you are employable, a colleague of mine was rejected.
    I attended the job fair in London in Spring 2013 and walked out with a job offer.
    The fair is an experience in itself, I've seen people in tears because of the stress but I thought it was a great adventure.

As for work/life balance: depends on the country and school. I worked in India for 4 years and the work/life balance was non existent, but that could have been my school as well.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you would consider working in Moscow (Russia), send me a message.

7. the hippo

If you would consider working in Qatar or China, then you can send ME a message.

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If you're a genuine outstanding teacher who offers more than academics, Search Job Fairs are the way to go.

TES, of course, is the best place in the world to look for international jobs. (Do I get my 20% discount code through the post, Bev, or via email?)

9. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

a
    Are you paid to say that?

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

China is a good place to work, earn money and experience. I have seen a large number of CVs from countries in the Middle East from people looking for a bit more "security" in not lossing their heads.

11. the hippo

Losing your husband is a possibility if you are teaching in China. Quite a lot of laowai marriages hit the rocks when hubby becomes involved with a Chinese girl.

12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Losing your husband is a possibility anywhere. Quite a lot of marriages hit the rocks.