1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where is the best place to go and teach where you and your non teaching partner can get a visa at the same time and fly out together?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ychowdhury, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I have had a few offers from jobs overseas unfortunately they require me to move over to the country first and then take my husband along which could take a while. Can anyone suggest any countries that I can look into, where me and my husband can fly out together?

Has anyone been in this situation before and what did you do.

Thanks guys, TES forums has really helped me in the past and im sure it will again!

2. Hi Guys,

I have had a few offers from jobs overseas unfortunately they require me to move over to the country first and then take my husband along which could take a while. Can anyone suggest any countries that I can look into, where me and my husband can fly out together?

Has anyone been in this situation before and what did you do.

Thanks guys, TES forums has really helped me in the past and im sure it will again!

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Generally anywhere within Western Europe would be fine.
    I have worked in Norway which was fine and I have now been in Switzerland for four years. I have a non-teaching spouse and two kids. It was not a problem.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I think this could be less to do with the country and more to do with the schools. Most places / countries will issue a visa for a spouse; it is only unmaried partners where there are problems.

5. In Saudi Arabia - you have to fly out first and then your spouse. And they dont pay for their visa either.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Curously enough this was also the same routine for BAE in Dammam. One had to go out first and then ones family arrived later ( assuming there was an apartment or villa available for them ).

7. A good school would do this for you anywhere. They will want stability with a happy staff. Better for the kids.
    Unwillingness to do this, if not a scam, would send off alarm bells for me. At a minimum, a school that would not work out arrangements for your spouse thinks absolute **** of you as an employee.
    You can see many important details of a school's package if you sign up with a search agency (a reputable one). They also mention the cases where a government will not accept a working wife supporting a husband. In that case, there's nothing the school can do, it's that nation's law. It just means that place isn't a good fit for you. You can also check out whether a school will cover tuition for kids, if so, how many. If it doesn't apply to you, it's still another indicator of how they value staff. Do you want to work at a place that you wouldn't be able to afford to send your own kids? Even if you don't have any? Having access to that info upfront saves you the effort of bothering to apply.