1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where in the world...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lennoc, Apr 18, 2012.

1. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

I'm planning ahead! Next school year will be my last in this job and I'm starting to do some basic research about where I'd like to apply to next. Obviously where I end up will depend on what I actually get offered but where to research is my starting question.
    So what I'm after is a list of schools that people think are fantastic to work in. For me to consider them they must:
    1. Be an IB DP school.
    2. Treat their staff decently.
    3. Pay enough money that you can save a decent amount (I don't have an extravagent lifestyle but I do like to travel and I've got a mortgage to pay).
    And bonus points for schools that teach the IGCSE as well as the IB DP.
    I'm open to anywhere but after nearly 10 years in Asia I'm considering the possiblity of the Middle East for a change.
    So I thought I'd kick off my research by asking on here to see if people are willing to tell me places that they think are great to work. I'm happy to have the name pm'd to me or you can give me enough clues that I can figure it out.
    In return if anyone is considering applying to Japan I'll happily share the name of my school here - it's a great place to work.

2. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

I'm planning ahead! Next school year will be my last in this job and I'm starting to do some basic research about where I'd like to apply to next. Obviously where I end up will depend on what I actually get offered but where to research is my starting question.
    So what I'm after is a list of schools that people think are fantastic to work in. For me to consider them they must:
    1. Be an IB DP school.
    2. Treat their staff decently.
    3. Pay enough money that you can save a decent amount (I don't have an extravagent lifestyle but I do like to travel and I've got a mortgage to pay).
    And bonus points for schools that teach the IGCSE as well as the IB DP.
    I'm open to anywhere but after nearly 10 years in Asia I'm considering the possiblity of the Middle East for a change.
    So I thought I'd kick off my research by asking on here to see if people are willing to tell me places that they think are great to work. I'm happy to have the name pm'd to me or you can give me enough clues that I can figure it out.
    In return if anyone is considering applying to Japan I'll happily share the name of my school here - it's a great place to work.

3. Out of curiosity, why the desire for change? Japan is a great country and you have the good fortune to like your school. I don't know enough about the M-E to suggest any names, but I do know that this region can be a real minefield in terms of dodgy schools.

4. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

Ahhh, that is the question. I was perfectly happy at my last school too. But after 4 or 5 years I just get itchy feet and "need" to move on. My life would be much simpler if I could just settle down and be content but it seems that that is beyond me!
    My current school has quite a few members of staff who've been here for decades because it really is a great place to work and Japan is a very easy country to live in. Maybe that's part of the problem for me, it's a little too easy. Anyway fundamentally I'm bored and ready for a new challenge. I would have moved on this year (after my 4th year) but they induced me to stay an extra year by letting me teach HL (so I'll see that class through the 2 year cycle by staying next year).
    The M-E appeals because I think it would be a totally differet experience to Asia (and would facilitate lots of travel around Europe rather than Asia which is where I spend most of my time now) but I am a little wary about the dodgy schools. That's why I'm asking here - to try and not end up somewhere awful. I'm also hoping that I have enough ability/experience/skills to be able to only consider the schools that are generally agreed to be good.

5. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

No one? It's a bit of a worry if none of you are working in a place that you think is decent enough to recommend someone checks it out!

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Part of the reason you may not be getting suggestions is that many (most?) schools which British teachers work in in the ME don't do IB.
    In addition (you are secondary?) there are also a limited number of Secondary Schools in the ME anyway.
    Have you looked at American Schools?

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It could just be that we work in excellent schools but we don't really feel it is necessary to tell strangers on online fora which ones they are.

8. BIS Jakarta - meets all criteria (so far as I can tell as an outsider) bar the last one (although, some might be forgiven for thinking a lot of the locals are trying to make Indnesia part of the Middle East, at times :) )

9. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

Of course it could. But since all I'm asking for is suggestions as to schools to look into then I don't think I'm asking something completely ridiculous.

10. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take a look at that. The ME thing is just a thought, I'm also open to staying in Asia.

11. lennoc

lennoc New commenter

Good point. I guess I just assumed there would be teachers on here that worked in all different types of schools.There always seem to be quite a few ME posts.
    I am secondary. I haven't really looked into any schools yet, I'm in the initial data gathering phase, but I'd only consider American Schools if they were IB and came across more as international than just American. I'm not totally ruling them out but given my background in IGCSE and IBDP I don't think most American schools would work for me.