1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where in Maadi?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mo_jo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. We are looking for a flat to rent in Maadi and would be grateful for any advice... which area... which streets to look at etc, if your already living there, do you know of any empty flats that might be available for rent. Thanks

2. We are looking for a flat to rent in Maadi and would be grateful for any advice... which area... which streets to look at etc, if your already living there, do you know of any empty flats that might be available for rent. Thanks

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

It will depend on how much you have to spend! Rents can be incredibly high ($6000-00+)
    Best thing to do, is have a wander around an area you like and ask the bawabs (doormen) if they know of any apartments for rent

4. Did you mean 6000 dollars (US) or 6000 LE?
    I personally pay 2500 LE for mine - found it by asking bowabs just as BFG suggests.

5. Thanks, yes I've been looking on the internet, some are ridiculously over priced. We will have a look round, thanks again,

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Difficult one to answer
    Some schools find you accommodation and pay the landlord directly. Others give you an allowance and let you get on with it
    Schools will tell you that X amount will get you a '2 bed, 2 bath' apartment but that rarely happens due to supply and demand and teachers from 'lesser' schools tend to end up sharing
    Oh, and don't fall for the, 'You must pay me a finder's fee' trick - the landlord pays that but it won't do you any harm to drop the bawab who helped you a 'thankyou'
    You should be able to get something for 3000-3500LE but they are in short supply

7. Are you talking about where 'most teachers want to live in Maadi?' As costs, I believe, vary hugely depending on where in Maadi.
    ****, I forgot about that bar tab...

8. Where do 'most teachers want to live'?! (so we can avoid it!!! Joking) would like to know.

3000-3500LE is all we want to pay, you do make me smile, between you...reading your messages I mean! My husband should be going there today to have a wander round! I have told to go and look at Degla. Thanks

9. Near Midan Victoria, I think - I woldn't know though, I don't live in Maadi.
    You'll find somewhere I'm sure for that price.

10. Lots of teachers live in the road 233 area - reasonable accom, good for shopping.
    The area between road 9 and Midan Victoria (you aknow all of those streets like 86, 85 etc) again good for shops etc.
    There's a few teachers actually live in road 9 itself (the Thakanat end).
    The area around the ACE club and CAC tends to be full of Americans and consequently higher priced. When the price quoted is in US dollars then you know it's going to be expensive.

11. I have a list of teacher's addresses at my school and the roads they on are 219, 221, 85, 86, 206, 276. A couple of these streets were mentioned in the thread. Are the others fairly central and in convenient locations? We were told all teachers live in a small area in order to able to be picked up by bus in the morning.

12. Yes - Ayman's a good start. He can also help you out with transport.