1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where has my spell check gone in the middle of my reports???! Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mushroomz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Can anyone tell me how to get the spell check back in WORD (including the squiggly red, green and blue underlining)?

We use a template in WORD, with a separate section for each subject area.

Some of the reports I have written have shown the underlining throughout the document, other reports have the underlining in some, but not all, sections. The report I am working on at the moment doesn't seem to have any of the underlining at all - I don't know where it has gone!

I have tried going to file-options-proofing, and checking / unchecking various boxes, but to no avail.

Last year, I had a similar problem. I Googled it and came upon a brilliant solution that I was able to apply to each report with the click of a few keys and buttons. I can't for the life of me remember the solution, and Googling has drawn a blank!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Did you do this as if for the whole document? Have you tried selecting the box you are typing into, clicking on spelling and grammar in the Review ribbon and then selecting 'options'. Make sure the 'hide spelling errors' (which is at the bottom of the dialogue box) isn't checked for any documents (look in the drop down box).

Don't know if this helps... [​IMG]

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Maybe there are no errors.
    Learn to spell without the aid of a computer.

4. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

There are definitely errors, crow!

I can, indeed spell without the aid of a computer! However, I need the spell check just to draw my attention to words / punctuation / spacing etc. that I might have typed incorrectly by accident - don't want the parents thinking I'm semi-literate!!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Sorry, I didn't notice this was posted on Personal! My response was a little harsh. Apologies.

6. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

No probs, Bobsy!

7. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Found a solution - finally, after trawling through Google responses! Same as last year's fix:

review - language - set proofing language - select English (UK) - uncheck 'do not check spelling or grammar' box

Hey presto! it works a treat!