1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where does it say we have to keep loads of paperwork for each child regarding profile attainment?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, May 9, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

From 2011 ARA
    – section 3.10
    page 14:
    •“practitioners may choose to record specific evidence in order to secure their own
    judgements, but it is their final assessment of the child, based on all of their evidence
    (documented or not) that informs the completion of the EYFS profile. It is this judgement
    that is moderated by the local authority.”
    you may also want to check the moderation training document
    http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/assets/Moderation_training_notes.pdf

2. I tried to fight the system a couple of years ago (i have probably said this before) but i ended up in so much trouble,the moderator stormed out of my setting saying she wasn't happy. I had the chief advisor for profiles and for another for Early years in my area coming in to sort me out. I just play the game now but it is stupid, today i was looking around for bits of evidence to back up judgements i knew. I have a girl this year who is working at a level 2 in maths she is amazing so do i take pictures of her partitioning 2 digit numbers?!!

3. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

Hadn't seen the moderation training notes before Msz - thanks.
    Despite the QCDA stating that 'practitioners need to ensure' that the 80/20 'balance' is implemented, they then call it 'an expectation' and then state that it is 'not a precise statistical relationship.'
    I really don't think that this can be realistically enforced when non-documented evidence is acceptable (which it absolutely should be).
    My poor brain. Sigh. I don't usually get too caught up in all this, I am a strong advocator of EY teachers trusting our own judgements because we know our children so well. Moderation makes me feel like I'm rubbish.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's such a shame when professionals are under such pressure they daren't question ridiculous demands even when they are supported by clearly documented evidence that the demands are unreasonable. Once again I am grateful that I work for a reasonable LA.

5. This is so WRONG this must be either your moderatorsown idea or your LA as this is not what is in the training given to modeators in my LA and it looks like msz'd LA is the same. Ask for evidence from national training as to why it must be in the profiles to be counted! Very good luck and well done for going for it!
    Pat

6. The word 'moderation' ruins this time of year for me. I have been teaching reception for many many years and this system has made me feel less confident now than I did in my NQT year (not that I had one..was just left to get on with it!) I have a feeling of impending doom and see the vultures circling overhead...out to get me!! I also have spoken up at meetings and tried to do it my way but also feel that your name gets highlighted as a trouble maker who needs watching! I have too much to do to worry about 20/80 or long obs or post its etc etc One more year to go! Will I survive!?

7. You will survive - but more than that you need to enjoy.
    TESers know that we have challenged so much of the advice/moderation/judgement on this forum with Msz providing us with what we need to get to the root of guidance for the moderators/advisors/inspectors.
    If someone in authority gives wrong advice, don't toady to it - politely and professionally disagree and write those 'papers' if necessary.
    Just stand your ground and quote the TES early years forum.
    In fact, point the misguided advisors/moderators this way.
    The other day at a London seminar, I asked the question as to whether all those who promote the observation culture in early years have ever put themselves in the shoes of what it is like to be in an institution nowadays where it has become the norm to 'observe' children and write copious evidence.
    Meanwhile, there are many adult groups in our country seriously concerned about our liberties.
    What kind of adults are we creating when from the cradle our young are conditioned to think it is 'normal' to be scrutinised in this way?
    Compliant? Attention seeking? Accepting of constant scrutiny?
    I find it perverse.
    I also find it perverse where moderation of the carers and teachers has become so precise. 80/20? Who cares?

8. Oops - I meant to say 'put themselves in the shoes of the children themselves'.[​IMG]

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think it works both ways.

10. LOL! You're right, InkyP![​IMG]

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, lets see some over-scrupuous teacher admitting toonly having done 79/21.