1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you start....?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by little1985, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I can't figure out if this is a daft question or not but i've always been told that if i have a question on something then generally someone else will be thinking the same.
    I've applied to do GTP this year and i'm going to be coming from a very different career (accounting!!). I worked for two months before christmas in schools to gain the experience i needed but also to confirm my thoughts and feelings of wanting to teach in primary school. Unfortunately i've not been able to get any further experience as i'm working full time again although i did take a days leave and go into school then.
    Anyway, I have a literacy and maths assessment in the next stage of my application and then (hopefully) i'll have the interview.
    I've been given a list by my supporting school of things to swot up on and read around such as ECM, EYFS, APP, federations, free schools etc. and was just wondering where people generally start in terms of what to learn.
    I'm going to print the standards from the TDA site and get my head around those but i'm not sure how much of the curriculum i'm suppose to know (should i just have an understanding of the basics or should i know more?) and where i can get this information.
    Is there a starting point for people who are first coming into teaching because i seem to have found loads of brilliant websites full of information but i just don't understand them yet because there seems to be so much to them.
    Apologies for rambling on - trying to get my questions across without seeming too naive about it all!
    Thanks for any help

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly don't try and pick up everything at once. Focus on the classroom experience. Analyse your observations and experience- What makes a good teacher- what activities , attitudes , skills are needed to deliver in the classroom.
    Visit a good bookshop (library if you can find one left) and pick up some of the standard texts you will see there about beginning teaching. if you visit one near/inside a teaching university this is likely to have a better selection.
    Look at some of the numeracy standards and work out what you could do to teach them in the context of about 30 minutes.Download from the TES resources section and look at how others have done this.Note how they have structured, differentiated the approaches for diffferent groups.
    Reading the quality press will also give you a background in the current issues in education.