1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kindling_not_vessels, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I intend to try working abroad for three to five years from summer 2012. I have a wife and eleven year boy to consider.

My criteria.

Reasonably high achieving school as my son will also attend.
    Good standard of living possible due to high wages compared to local costs.
    Warm pleasant and safe environment
    Not an oppressive or regressive political / cultural regime.

I was thinking South East Asia ?

Where do you recommend and why ?

2. Maybe that place in Germany where Hansel and Gretel went, where you can have your cake and eat it[​IMG]

3. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

South East China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Philipines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei....that just about covers South East Asia I think!
    You won't get much help on this one for a couple of reasons. First, the question itself is way too vague. Have you done any research into overseas teaching, have you looked at the sheer number and variety of schools in South East Asia, or anywhere else in the world for that matter? Figure out what suits you and your family.
    Secondly, many regular readers here are getting pretty sick of generic questions that show a clear and total disregard for using the easily available forum search function. Have a troll through some previous posts, every country has been discussed you just need to find it. If after that you still have some specific questions feel free to ask.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I absolutely agree with momentofclarity's post. Far too many general, vague and waffly posts are appearing on this forum and it is clear that the posters cannot be bothered to do their homework. www.lonelyplanet.com and www.internationalschoolsreview.com should have been consulted by the OP.

5. Seriously, pet, it sounds much nicer than it is. I am a lady of mature years, and my needs are different to those of you young whippersnappers.
    I´ll give you a couple of clues : dogs..gypsies...very good public transport .. *** freezing for 5 months of the year....

6. Thanks to those who offered some form of constructive advice - (especially Monkeynuts who gave me the giggles, and Steventon who has led me to contemplate Brunei). Much food for thought.
    Uprooting a family, and moving to the other side of the World is not something to do on a whim. There is a lot to consider and knowing the right questions to ask is half the battle.
    Answering general questions seems to bother some people, if you're one of them then I suggest you simply don't bother to respond in future !

7. ". It's a bit like me saying that I intend to find a beautiful rich girl, marry her and live happily ever after.

In that case remove your picture[​IMG]

8. I love ESL, me...