1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you get your recycling bins from?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Loony tunes, May 4, 2012.

1. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

At the moment we have a plastic bin for rubbish in each class and then a bag for paper and one for plastic in each class. They look horrible and as eco school coordinator I've been asked to look into getting proper bins for plastic and paper to go into classes. I've had a look at our usual suppliers but anything I find either looks awful, is made of card so won't last or is really expensive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

2. Loony tunes

At the moment we have a plastic bin for rubbish in each class and then a bag for paper and one for plastic in each class. They look horrible and as eco school coordinator I've been asked to look into getting proper bins for plastic and paper to go into classes. I've had a look at our usual suppliers but anything I find either looks awful, is made of card so won't last or is really expensive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask your local council if they can provide ones similar to household bins. They are likely to provide enough for each class if asked to do so.

4. We have large plastic storage boxes for paper, the sort you can buy in Wilkinson's or Dunelm Mill We don't have much plastic for recycling though. Do you have a lot or could you just have a central area for plastic, e.g. a separate box in a corridor or staff room

5. hmm - we use A4 paper boxes in each classroom as recycling boxes
    recycled recycling bins

6. Loony tunes

Thanks for all your responses. They have some in the right colours that look like they're just what I need on the Dunelm Mill website but don't deliver them. I don't fancy trawling round different stores trying to find 16 of each...

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ring a local shop and get them to order you some in.

8. Loony tunes

I managed to get compost bins from the council but they don't do anything else. Its all bag based or massive skip type recycling bins we have to pay to be collected.

9. If you're not paying the council to collect your recycling, what are you doing with it? I'm not being awkward, just genuinely interested as I'm looking into this too.

10. the council collects our recycling - that's paper, card, glass, cartons, plastics and green waste, but we don't pay - it's in their interest to reduce local landfill
    we did have to pay years ago, so we stopped recycling, but the 'we take it for free' came in at least 10 years ago
    all we pay for now are the residual skips, which is one heck of an incentive to recycle as much as possible
    we're london btw - where are you?

11. Loony tunes

From talking to our secretary it seems that if we have the big metal bins for our recycling we have to pay for the council to collect it but if we just put it out in the coloured bags, we don't! Seems very odd to me but that's what I'm told...hence we have the bags in class and I'm looking for some bins for the classroom as it looks awful!

12. Our council used to offer a free service for schools but changed just over a year ago apparently and now they charge schools the same as businesses. I checked and challenged this but that's their policy. I'm in the Yorkshire and Humber region.