1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy your text books?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Kartoshka, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I didn't buy many textbooks - only a few that I thought would be particularly helpful. Mostly I borrowed books from the university library as and when I needed them. But there were also a couple of books where it said we'd be assigned a
    chapter a week to read or whatever, and I bought those because I thought
    it would be useful to have them on hand.
    I bought from eBay, TES marketplace, and Amazon.

2. I bought one for science and maths and a couple for english which has proven useful, everything else is borrowed from the library.
    I would recommend Derek Haylock Maths book and Readings for reflective teaching by Andrew pollard if they're on your list. I bought my books from amazon, ebay and bookdepository.com (free delivery) and really quick. Good luck! x

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I agree with the others - the only advantage of buying the textbooks yourself is you don't have to worry about returning or renewing them when you're on placement. I bought four chunky books at considerable cost (being conscientious I wanted the most up-to-date editions too!) and I haven't even touched them since I finished my last assignment. Once you get going you want purely practical advice and subject knowledge books.