1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where do you buy "academic dress"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Just got a new job and have been informed in the letter that "this post includes attendance at occasions for wehich you will need to wear academic dress". Where do you buy this from? anyone know what kind of occiasions you use it for?

It's a standard teacher in a quite "old fashioned" school.....Feeling a bit ooo, err about the job now.

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Just got a new job and have been informed in the letter that "this post includes attendance at occasions for wehich you will need to wear academic dress". Where do you buy this from? anyone know what kind of occiasions you use it for?

It's a standard teacher in a quite "old fashioned" school.....Feeling a bit ooo, err about the job now.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Google your local one. You will need to order the gown that matches your uni, so if it's not local, give them time to get one for you

4. Find out how often you'll be needing it - if it's just once a year, say, it will probably work out cheaper and easier to hire it rather than buy it.
    Try Ede and Ravenscroft.

5. Ooh, get you ;) Hehe I think there are various hire places, that you can also purchase them from...but as above poster said, be careful that it matches your uni and your qualification.

6. Definitely check how often you will be needing it. When I was a pupil, staff at my school wore academic dress once a year for the annual awards night whereas now, as a teacher (in a different school obviously) I have to wear my gown every day and my hood as well on special occasions.
    I ordered mine from Ede and Ravenscroft but the hoods take 6 - 8 weeks to make so definitely get it ordered fairly soon if you're needing it for September. Don't forget that you can claim tax back on your purchase as well as it is a necessity for your job as demanded by the school.

7. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

In many schools it is only once a year and staff borrow from friends/colleagues - so they don't always have the correct hood (but no-one notices). In one (good) school I taught in - a state school - they paid for the hire for those members of staff who didn't own one...

8. I got mine several years ago (Manchester University Faculty of Arts) from Wippels in Manchester. You normally have to have them made individually but I was lucky enough to obtain one in my size which had been ordered but never collected.

I too was "a standard teacher in an old fashioned school" but staff kindly leant me gowns for the first couple of years until I bought my own.

One male colleague was leant a gown from an all girls' college - and no-one twigged!

Pupils seem to believe that the more ornate the gown, the more highly qualified the teacher!
    I still remember one female colleague who had a magnificent gown which made her look like Henry VIII !

9. impis

impis New commenter

10. This is what happens at my school. All sorts of colours seen on the night, mostly incorrect. Incidently, there are several teachers who don't bother with it, and although we are told before that it is required, they have never been pulled up on it. I bought mine as I did not want to go through the hassel of trying to find one to borrow or hire every year. I reckon a few years and it'll pay for itself.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ede and Ravenscroft also sell second hand ex-hire stuff. Very good as brand new will cost an absolute FORTUNE!

12. I doubt very much that you would need a cap.
    Ede and Ravenscroft, as others have said, seem to be the best bet but you could aslo look on EBay and see if anyone is offloading theirs but do not buy the joke/ dress up kind as they will look awful!
    You will need a hood as well.
    You generally wear them for special days in school e.g. prize giving days, major school functions etc. Probably about 2 - 3 times per year.
    They are not designed for women so get some sturdy safety pins to anchor the hood onto the front of the gown or your dress/ skirt/ shirt is likely to ride up if you are a woman. If you are a man, then a nice good quality shirt with a sturdy collar and good tie will anchor the hood.
    If you get bored you can do batman impressions.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Blimey I'm glad I don't need that. I don't think Warley Technical College has a hood colour! A hoodie colour perhaps and a baseball cap.[​IMG]

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You can always use it at fancydress parties - just add fangs

15. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I like the Batman Idea Personally for when i'm not using it properly! I think this is where the elitist "wooo you only went there?" comes in.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Also very useful in the boudoir. I just add stocking, sussies, heels and a cane! [​IMG]

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Imagine teaching Food in a cap and gown!! LOL Although I qualified with the old Cert Ed,in Home Economics, my degree is mainly in religious stuff!!

18. I've just bought mine from Knights of Castle Cary (I think the website is www.knightsofcastlecary.co.uk). Really good quality, hood a rough match for my degree (i.e. not the "official" colours but so close you can hardly tell), and price for gown, hood and delivery £73.

19. andromache

andromache New commenter

just the one stocking, belle? *tries to work this out, but fails*

20. It depends how "retentive" you are. Different gowns match different Unversities, some are cheap and some are really expensive. I could have spent £180 for one of Newcastle's "non-standard" gowns, so I bought a random one off ebay for £20. Machine washable and great for Batman impressions.
    It's not as if anyone will ever know, and if they do spot it, and comment, pity them for their lack of a life.
    Don't waste your cash - second hand off the internet is the way forward!
    The hood is a different kettle of fish - that has to be right, or just don't bother with one at all...