1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do TA's / Teachers look for accomodation?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 2BoysDad, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 2BoysDad

2BoysDad New commenter

We have a two bedroom cottage that we would like to let out to a local (Farnham, Surrey) teacher in exchange for help with nannying our two boys (aged 5 and 10). Is there go-to website or publication that might effectively target the educational community on matters related to accommodation?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You want a full-time teacher to offer nannying services in lieu of rent? You might find them a bit busy during term time!

3. 2BoysDad

2BoysDad New commenter

Understood and was thinking that term time was more school run & 3-6pm orientated with most of the workload being in the holidays. Mind you I guess term date clashes amongst different schools might be a problem? Are the TA's any less busy out of school hours?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think you'll find teachers are in school from about 7.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. or later!

aspensquiver and bombaysapphire like this.
  5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Teachers work 50+ hours a week. We're in well before and after school run times. Our holidays are often spent working or catching up on being human. Nannying on top of that just simply isn't an option.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'm astonished that anyone would not realise the hours that teachers work! Teacher workload is all over the media and a cursory glance at the fora would tell you that no teacher can be a nanny as well as a teacher. Apart from any other considerations, teachers and TAs do not necessarily finish school at 3pm, so would be unable to pick up from school, or take in thee morning if that's what you were expecting.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This!

aspensquiver likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Everyone knows teachers have it easy... they only work 5-6 hours a day, a quick flick and tick over some books and then luxuriate the evenings away sipping the finest wines and eating only oysters. Anyone claiming otherwise is a marxist.

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I can see this interesting a TA if the hours could be made to fit. A teacher, even working part-time, might be more problematical for the reasons given.

Is there a particular reason that you're looking for a teacher or TA?

I would have thought that the best place to advertise would be in the local press.

needabreak and ScotSEN like this.
  10. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

So you're looking for a teacher to do the school run, pick up at 3pm till 6pm and then do most of the nannying in the school holidays?

What exactly do you think teachers and TAs do?

needabreak, ScotSEN and aspensquiver like this.
  11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I think this is a wind-up.....

12. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Surely not?

13. aspensquiver

There was one earlier. At least some posters thought it was one. Anyway, now it's vanished.
    Weird.

14. aspensquiver

Mumsnet might be more more able to offer advice to the OP...

15. aspensquiver

Correction:

Mumsnet might be more able to offer advice to the OP...

16. 2BoysDad

2BoysDad New commenter

Thanks cuteinpuce. Finally someone who read the OP. This is a request for an effective means to reach a local TA community. Not an invitation to bang on about teaching hours / workloads. I think that would be a different post.

The request is real enough as a TA did indeed pick up / drop off and contribute to after school care at my son's first school. Likewise she was happy to work further over the summer. So, as a practical matter it can work. Well done cuteinpuce. Again.

This wasn't a suggestion that a TA is also a full time nanny. Note the OP suggests "help" not full time involvement.

I guess it say's something that the thread generated such hostile reaction to proposition that was never actually put forward.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The title suggests a TA, but the first post specifies a teacher.

ScotSEN likes this.
  18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

It does. and you don't mention TAs as alternative until post 3.

ScotSEN likes this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I read the OP and it said you wanted a teacher. Are you sure you know what you want?

needabreak, ScotSEN and aspensquiver like this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It is not clear what proposition was actually put forward. So what do you think it say's (sic)?

aspensquiver likes this.