1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do parents of child wait whilst child is having a lesson

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by NickyJCR, Sep 23, 2019.

1. NickyJCR

NickyJCR New commenter

I wanted to find out what other people do. I have taken on a private pupil for instrumental tuition - all my other teaching happens during the school day and at school.

In my experience, when my own children were receiving private lessons, it was expected that I drop them off and either return later or wait in the car.

Is this the norm?

The parent of the child I am teaching has asked to wait inside my house, which I am currently uncomfortable with due to the fact that my husband works from home and my 2 children will also be using the living spaces...

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I mostly tutor in the student's home but have had a number of students come to me over the years. It is certainly normal for the parents to drop of the child and collect them at the end of the lesson. They usually went off and did something useful such as doing the shopping (there is a supermarket nearby) or in one case going swimming at the local pool.

I think some children would find it rather off-putting to have the parent present during the lesson. When I go to the student's home a parent is usually around but not in the same room.

3. NickyJCR

NickyJCR New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

She doesn't want to be in the same room the lesson's taking place in, just doesn't want to wait in the car.

We are also a couple of minutes drive from the village where there are shops and a small supermarket, so there are other things she could do. It's how I spent the hour whilst waiting for my 2 sons to have drum lessons.

It's put me in an awkward position...

4. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I'd say that's she's welcome to stay, but in the room you're teaching in. If she protests then explain that your family are using the house so another room isn't possible as it's not fair on them. Put a chair in the corner. It's what I do.

She probably won't want to do this and will decide to just sit in her car.

You are completely within your rights not to allow her to sit elsewhere in your house unaccompanied.

bonxie likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'd agree with alsoamum. It's unreasonable to expect you to provide a waiting room.

needabreak and suzette like this.
  6. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

I usually explain to parents that I don't have a waiting room. I allow them to stay in the same room and observe if their children haven't yet reached Yr 3, and when they approach this stage I diplomatically suggest that they drop and come back. Having said that, I have one Yr 4 student with epilepsy and I have asked for the parents to continue to stay.

7. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I have a chair in the corner of the room. One students father stays and catches up on emails. I ask the parent to stay in the first lesson to make sure the child is comfortable. After that they don't normally stay. I did have a parent ask me if their child (13 years old) could come to my house an hour early and sit in my living room as the time they had picked was now inconvenient!

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Entirely reasonable to say that you don't really have the space to offer a separate waiting area. Let her know what's available locally - even if it's just a nice direction to take a stroll. I used to run during daughter's music lessons - faced with the choice of doing the run or sitting in the car (or, for the more local one, walking home for 5 minutes sit-down before setting off again to pick up), it was difficult to find any reason not to do it!

9. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I don't understand why you'd not take the chance to do something else, even if it's just sitting in the car reading a book. I take a coffee and chocolate when my daughter goes to the tutor - it's my lovely quiet time!

10. suzette

suzette New commenter

Exactly. It's not a doctors waiting room, it's your home so she has to abide by your rules in your house. I have a studio away from the main part of the house at the bottom of my garden that's been converted into my tutoring space, but parents still either stay in their car or go shopping.

needabreak likes this.