1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Where do LA's receive pupil payment from if out of county?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Elainewhybro, Oct 28, 2015.

  1. Elainewhybro

    Elainewhybro New commenter

    Hi, my children go to a primary school in our next county-only 5 miles down the road. I want to know if the council their school is in receives money direct from the government or from the county we live in? The reason being they are trying to close my daughters' school and are being very dismissive of what happens to the 'out of county'children of which there are quite a few. If they receive the money from our county then surely this should reflect in their budget forecasts which it doesn't. If anyone can help with my question I'll be very grateful!
  2. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    No idea. But given the complexities of local government finance, I would strongly suspect that the money is never reclaimed from the county sending the child.
  3. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    I googled it and got a colossal zero. I strongly suspect that @Middlemarch is right.
  4. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    Have a look at this FoI request. I take it to mean that no bug g er has a bleedin' clue about any of it.

    Can the department provide information of the funding provided to a primary school for each child per term i.e. the cost given for each child in UK mainstream school along with those in SCE (service children’s education)?

    Also with regards to Service children’s boarding school allowance (CEA), are these monies recouped from the DfE to offset the amount that would have been claimed by the SCE/mainstream school anyway?

    There is no single national figure which would accurately reflect the level of funding provided to a primary school for each child in UK mainstream school. Not only is it the case that education issues are devolved in the United Kingdom and so responsibility for funding rests with a number of different bodies but, for England, funding to schools is allocated to local authorities and they take local decisions on funding levels.

    The responsibility for education matters outside England, including funding matters, rests with the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Northern Ireland Assembly. The funding they provide for their pupils will be different, representing their own national priorities.
  5. ScotSEN

    ScotSEN Senior commenter

    Don't know about mainstream but i know that if an authority takes a child with ASN from another area then this child's authority has to pay. (In Scotalnd).

Share This Page