1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I take EYFS on a School Trip?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bethteacher123, Jul 31, 2018.

1. bethteacher123

bethteacher123 New commenter

I have 2 groups of around 45 kids each all in either Nursery or Reception I preferably want to take them after Christmas but I have no idea where to take them as it my fist year with these year groups. It needs to be in the Greater Manchester/Lancashire area. Please Help!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Local park?
    A hands on farm?
    The science museum thing in the city?
    Pantomime?

LunaBlue123 and bethteacher123 like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

4. caterpillartobutterfly

That's what you book for all accompanying adults at 5pm after any trip with EYFS children!

bethteacher123 likes this.
  5. itdoesnthurttosmile

itdoesnthurttosmile Occasional commenter

I would be wary of taking very young children (3 year olds) to a farm . They are not old enough to reliably understand the importance of washing their hands and not putting their fingers in their mouths.
    Before I get accused of being a kill joy, a local child died as a result of a farm visit. I know it is a rare occurrence, but it had a devastating effect on the family, school and farm. Wait until they are a little bit older.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    pepper5 likes this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

7. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D

Clearly the mathematical benefits of mixing mocktails has passed TES by.

Pomza likes this.
  8. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Whoa @bethteacher123 you are brave! 45 in each group?!!

Is there anything you could tie to any interest at that point?

@caterpillartobutterfly has said all the ones I probably would've (great minds and all that hah!)

I would maybe consider a number of little experiences instead of or as well:

Posting letters at the letterbox,
    A walk on a nearby high street,
    Going to the shop to buy ingredients to cook,
    Visiting a bakery,

We've done a visit to a garden centre to purchase seeds as part of a topic on 'growing' which the children LOVED!

Something else to consider - as the children we had we unsettled and not used to large open spaces, etc we had a beach day at school where we had paddling pools, masses of sand, face painting and an ice cream van. Bought the beach to them instead!

xx

9. caterpillartobutterfly

Santa tends to write back as well... :)

10. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Our EYFS kids did the farm to fork thing at our local Tescos. Apparently, they really enjoyed it!!

11. bethteacher123

bethteacher123 New commenter

Thanks for your help everyone on Friday we safely completed a trip to a farm with the reception class and our nursery class really enjoyed the farm that came to them. Both groups really enjoyed the experience. Just a bit of info on how we ran the farm that came to them: We have a child in Year 1 that lives on a farm therefor it wasn't hard to find this experience. We sectioned of a large area of the KS2's playground (we just made sure the animals were not on the yard at the same time as the KS2 children, this bit took the most planning). The children are already in groups and each group had about 30-45 with the animals. Then they went back inside and we ran like a well polished machine.*I wouldn't suggest doing this if you have any less than 2 TA's* At the end of the day all children came out for the educational part. Thanks again everyone for the advice!