1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Darthteacher, Dec 28, 2016.

  1. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    I am sure this forum receives questions similar to mine. Currently I am working in the USA (I'm from the UK). I've been teaching here for over 10 years. I gained employment through contacting the schools directly when I was visiting.
    Now it looks like immigration constraints are going to force me to very reluctantly leave the USA in June. :(

    I still wish to live and teach abroad, but I have no clue how to do it. I've heard there are agencies you go though to seek employment in teaching. I don't know the names of these organizations or how to contact them?
    I'm posting some questions below, thank you very much for replying to my queries:

    1. What are the contact websites for teaching overseas agencies?

    2. Is going through an agency a good way to earn a significant amount of money (I've been barely making ends meet in the USA)

    3. What countries have you worked in and did you enjoy the experience?

    4. What pitfalls should I avoid when applying and working abroad.

    Thanks you so much for any advice given
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Dear Mike,

    My advice would be to send one of those "Conversation" things to a smelly old hippopotamus. This ancient and wrinkled beast has been known to help one or two people.
  3. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    Definitely join Search Associates. That would be my advice. Currently working in Taiwan and we love it here. If you've got experience working in US schools there are lots of choices! Send me a 'conversation' if you want to know what it's like here.
  4. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    I'm going to sound outdated, but how do I send you a conversation?
  5. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    As I just said to the Hippo - I'm going to sound outdated, but how do I send you a conversation?
  6. TThurston

    TThurston New commenter

    Hi Mike,

    I've just stumbled on your post after asking about teaching in North America. I am a teacher in London ATM just completing my NQT year. I know I'm very early on in the profession but I absolutely love teaching and have always had ambitions to relocate to the USA. Where isn't a concern state wise. You've been the first person I've stumbled across on here that has given me a glimpse of hope. I know its difficult to achieve, but I visit the states often and have many good friends there, hence why I am hoping to relocate.

    If you wouldn't mind, please could you message me how you achieved a position, in what state ect and anything helpful you think I should know- even concerns over immigration? my email is thurstontm@gmail.com I would really appreciate talking to someone who has experienced what I am currently trying to achieve so desperately. Thank you!!

    In terms of international schools, I have contacts with British teachers in Najing and Hong Kong who have a high standard of living and due to the nature of the schools out there, have very flexible hours (they can even take holiday in term time because schools run later and weekends in some, so its more like shift work) they say the children are great and so determined to learn. I also currently work with a guy who taught in Dubai and said it was 'luxury' and he would highly recommend the Middle East.

  7. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    Click on your avatar in the top right of the screen. Conversations appear there. I have started one with you so it should give you a notification to say you have unread conversations.
  8. Northernsole

    Northernsole Occasional commenter

    If you can join Search from the UK it is free, otherwise it is quite expensive from the US. You just need a UK address and to state that this is your 'permanent' home.
  9. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    Thanks Essman1 - search, is that the name of the site?
  10. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    Thanks Essman1 - search, is that the name of the site?
  11. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Search associates. Its where mainly the good IB schools advertise their positions. It gives you a lot of background info on the school and package....information that is missing from the TES
  12. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    I think the British schools in the US use TES, not Search
  13. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    The OP has to leave the USA for immigration reasons.

    Use TES for british schools internationally, and Search for IB schools. The IB is by far the largest pool of employers though
  14. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    Thank you
  15. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    Did you receive my email?

Share This Page