1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where do I start?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alphabite, Dec 17, 2011.

1. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

My house is in a state. Stuff everywhere. Messy and unclean. Boxes full of stuff everywhere. I have given myself this week to get it sorted but I have no idea where to start! I have allowed it to get out of control. So annoyed at myself. Where do I start?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

By hiring a skip

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Start by putting everything in the correct room. In heaps if necessary.

Do not pile it up on your bed...

4. v12

v12

Snap.
    The Brigadier (but don't tell her I call her that!) has gone out for day and left me to look after the children.
    Anyway, I have just found a drawer full of old receipts dating back to before 2000 - Tesco receipts included - "Oh", said my 9-year-old daughter, "this drawer over here is also full of them".
    "And this one over here".
    I think I'll just throw in the towel right away.
    Clutter it is then.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Start with one room at a time. Start with the important rooms that others will see, then you are not as stressed when people visit. Do the living room first for immediate impact. Then your bathroom and kitchen. Start with cupboards first in a room and throw everything you dont use, so that you have room for things you do want in the boxes. With clothes, if you havent worn it in a year get rid, for special/expensive items keep for 2 years. Choose nice smelling cleaning fluids etc so your house smells fresh.
    Put on music whilst you do it, whether its a favourite CD or Christmas songs, something upbeat and mood lifting.
    If you have a spare room collect all the boxes and clutter from other rooms and store them there so that you can see what you are doing and immediately improve the appearance of the majority of rooms and can clean them easier.
    In each room dust and wash down all surfaces, leaving hoovering til last. Light a smelly candle to freshen it.
    I used to let the house get like this and then would have a massive clear out in the hols. It is always the thought of starting that is daunting, but once you start it is quite addictive and theraputic. Once it is tidy the trick is to keep on top of it. I now manage to keep the living room, downstairs loo and kitchen tidy, but I always keep my dining room door shut when visitors come LOL!
    I know lots of teachers who are so well organised at work, but their homes look like a squat.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Start by making sure there's somewhere to shuffle it all into. Garage, shed, attic, etc.

Then work out what you've not used in the last twelve months and get it well out of sight. Only keep the immediately useful stuff handy.

Get all eBay and Car Boot Sale stuff together in one pile.

Be brutal.

That's my plan anyway, and I've only just finished making space in the attic.

7. I thought it was just me! I've just finished the big clean and it was SO worth it... I can't believe it managed to get so dirty!

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I noticed that when I was first married and we had just a three roomed flat with little in it, I could find everything easily. As the years have gone by, and more and more has come into the house and less gone out, I can find nothing. I'm in the same boat, and I think I'll make a new year resolution that never a week goes by but what I take at least one thing to the charity shops and don't buy anything to bring back. I sometimes think you have to say to yourself: "If I have not needed a particular thing in the last year, then I'm not likely to need it again" and put it in a box and let it go. Believe me, in a year's time you will have forgotten you ever had it. Right now I am cleaning my brass for Christmas and feel guilty that Mum's brass candlesticks that were always on my mantlepiece with a red candle burning in each whilst I listened to the carols from Cambridge, are missing, (charity shop last year) and I'm wondering who is cleaning them this year and are they missing me for they've been with me since the day I was born, ha ha. I was always allocated the job of cleaning them from the time I could hold a cleaning rag.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

To risk stating the b l e e d i n g obvious - get off here first![​IMG]

10. v12

v12

YES. And stop smiling; you're not here to enjoy yourself.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

put a big wastebin in each room
    storage solutions are your enemy

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Watch Channel 4 at 9.00pm this coming Wednesday and you'll realise it could all be soooo much worse...
    [​IMG]

13. Binbags. Lots of them. Show no mercy. Don't allow yourself to look through all the **** - just bin it. It really is the only way.
    Once you've cleared the space, you can do some deep cleaning. Good luck! Be ruthless!

14. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

Done 1 room today. I am quite proud of myself but also a little shocked at how much I have accumulated. My classroom is always immaculate and is often commented on. They would drop down dead if they saw my house! Thanks everyone.

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A little everyday tip-always put clothes back in the wardrobe on the right hand side. Then, when you need a clear out, start looking at the left hand side as these will be the clothes you haven't worn for ages.
    For the most part, as a plan, this works except I have a blue velvet dress on the left of my wardrobe which I last wore when I was in the nativity play at infant school. Not wishing to give my age away but the dress was made from one of mum's evening dresses which she used during the Second World War. [​IMG] It's just too pretty to chuck.

16. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

<h1>My Christmas clear out starts tomorrow. Even my daughter has asked if I am having one, so things must be bad!! No advice to give, except that you have to clear before you clean.</h1>

17. I read about the 'pomodoro technique' a while ago and use it sometimes both at home and with the students:
    it's basically choosing a job + setting a timer for 25 mins, take a 5 min break + then back for another 25 mins.
    It helps me stop wandering off + starting yet another thing whilst finishing nothing.
    Good luck.

18. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

Getting on quite well. Half way through the second room. Will finish that one today. Third room tomorrow and then a clean. So pleased to get it done.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Alphabite, you are an inspiration.
    My house is an absolute heap of clutter. I cannot have visitors because it's an embarassment.

20. v12

v12

Ulp. Have I at last discovered my wife's secret identity on TES Forums?