1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I stand...

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by rroy1, Jun 3, 2020.

1. rroy1

rroy1 New commenter

Hi, as a retuning to work teacher, I am in my classroom with 11 children and my TA. we are in our bubble, we do everything with and for the children. This means from 8.50 until 3.30 we are with the children. All morning breaks and lunches. We serve the children their food, eat with them, go out for lunchtime break with them... I am sure there are many that are in the same situation...
    We are on day 3, questions are starting to rise... 1) how long could we go on like this. 2)do we need to. 3) should we be paid for the extra duties and time 4) should we be provided with school meals. Keeping the numbers and contact with others to a minimum is understandable but we are in a very tight corner. We've discussed 10 minutes breaks but sitting on your own just makes you feel guilty and you want to do things in the classroom to make everyone's return after the break smoother...
    Any advice would be welcome!

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

If there are 2 adults and only 11 children, I don't see why you couldn't give each other a couple of breaks, maybe 15 mins in the morning and 30 mins at lunchtime?
    I don't think you would be paid extra for this and I think it would be unreasonable to ask. If you wanted food provided you could ask - personally I'd rather bring my own in.

agathamorse and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I understand this is hard work, but why do you both need to be there the whole time? There might be a good reason I don’t know, but I’d have thought the TA could supervise break and lunchtime giving you two half hour slots and you could give her free time while you are teaching. Maybe she could also lead some activities while you have planning time. Is there a reason why that wouldn’t work?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. otters258

otters258 New commenter

That does not sound reasonable. Each of our bubbles has an allocated SMSA as they would normally who supervises eating lunch in the classroom and the outside play in their designated areas. The teacher and TA cover each other as they arrange for morning break.

5. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

What does the SMSA do with the rest of their day since they can’t join any other bubble? Having 3 members of staff per bubble is a lot of members of staff in even a small school.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our KS1 bubbles have a MSA who covers lunchtime so teacher and TA can have a break but our KS2 classes share the duties between them, one stays as they are eating while the other has a break and then one goes outside to supervise while the other has a break. We have four defined areas outside so there are always 3 other adults outside, even if at a distance! But when the weather is nice there are more adults outside than in!

7. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Rroy, you definitely need to work some breaks out, or you will become exhausted. I didn't take any breaks on my first day with the class and I know that I couldn't keep going like that and neither could my TA. We are a small school with no MSAs and we are very low on staff due to shielding. Yesterday we took half an hour each at lunchtime and I felt so much better for it.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I love the 'retuning' to work in the OP!

You should both be having a break, even if it's only half an hour. Tell your school you need time to have your lunch away from the children. We have an hour for lunch and have been encouraged to leave the premises, go out for a walk etc.

(PS Every time I see the thread title, I think 'You stand 2 metres away!')

agathamorse likes this.