1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by snorkellinginthesea, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I have started teaching in a new school (september 2011) and have been a teacher for 7 yrs. How many weeks sick pay am I entitled to? Does it transfer from one school to another or start again?

Thanks

2. I have started teaching in a new school (september 2011) and have been a teacher for 7 yrs. How many weeks sick pay am I entitled to? Does it transfer from one school to another or start again?

Thanks

3. Did you read your contract before you signed it?

4. Do you plan to be sick?
    Just be grateful you are not in the private sector. It's not 6 months there! I am self employed and a supply teacher. I have had 1 day off in 3 years when I could not get into work because I was ill. You should be off work if you are sick and the level of sick pay should not be an issue. Either you are ill or not ill.
    Rant over.

5. Hello there,

your school will have a sickness absence policy but in general the amount of sick pay entitlement increases with every year you are at your school rather than how long you have been teaching for. You are perfectly entitled to inquire about your rights without fear of raised eyebrows.

If you are still under the LEA umbrella check their website. Your union should also be able to help.

(do feel free to ignore the rude, ranty posters)

Anne x

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why should you need to know how long you are "entitled" to be sick for? If you are sick enough to be off work, then you should be off work. Of course - if it is long term, then money may become an issue. Public sector workers are very lucky in the sick pay they get compared to private sector workers.

7. As someone who stupidly nearly worked myself into oblivion at a college in inner London in the hope that I would be considered for a permanent post there only to be hospitalised with a rare neuropathy and signed off sick for a further month, I do not begrudge colleagues who have some protection from destitution than than is generally the case with supply teachers. That said, I do wish that colleagues in various trade unions who are in far better patches of clover would give over jawing away about the size of the pot of pension jam when some of us are struggling to make enough to see us in bread and butter!!!

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Gosh, some nice supportive comments here. [​IMG]
    We're not in the private sector, we're in the public sector. I'm sure if the OP had wanted to know how awful it was in other jobs, she would have asked.
    For what it's worth, I didn't get a contract before starting my post. Given that advice on here is very much that verbally accepting a post is binding, would it make much difference?
    OP, if you post on P & C they might be more help. I'm not sure myself to be honest, although I should be. I didn't "plan" to get sick, but I have been ill lately and it's been indicated it could be something more serious which means I could need a long period of time off. I hope your health problems are resolved. x

9. "A verbal is not worth the paper it is written on."
    Accepting something verbally will never bind you to a course of action. It may be awkward, but until you have signed you are free to do what you want.

10. i read somewhere that it's 25 days in the first year, 50 in the second, 75 in the third and then 100 in the forth and onwards on full pay and the same number of days per year on half pay. i don't know how it works if you stay in the same LEA.