1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I stand with the following...?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Faldamir12, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I need some advice on the following please...
    A member of staff in my department is due to go on maternity shortly and the head has made clear that he will not bring someone in this academic year, let alone for 2012-2013.
    I had a meeting with SLT before the half term break and she confirmed that the hours the teacher works will be split between the rest of the department (4 of us in total) between now and the end of term 6. In order to facilitate this, they would need to use the gained time from Year 11 leaving for us to teach the KS3 classes.It will equate to 5 teaching hours for each of us.
    My question is....can the school use gained time to delegate extra teaching in these circumstances or is gained time 'protected' time?
    I have spoken to my union and I am still waiting to hear from them, however I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

2. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I need some advice on the following please...
    A member of staff in my department is due to go on maternity shortly and the head has made clear that he will not bring someone in this academic year, let alone for 2012-2013.
    I had a meeting with SLT before the half term break and she confirmed that the hours the teacher works will be split between the rest of the department (4 of us in total) between now and the end of term 6. In order to facilitate this, they would need to use the gained time from Year 11 leaving for us to teach the KS3 classes.It will equate to 5 teaching hours for each of us.
    My question is....can the school use gained time to delegate extra teaching in these circumstances or is gained time 'protected' time?
    I have spoken to my union and I am still waiting to hear from them, however I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Bit of a pain for you. I've got a horrible feeling that this may be something they can do. I would be emphasising the way this will affect your planning and preparation time
    Our year 11 don't leave until halfway through June, presumably yours will around for a similar period of time. How will they manage the staffing until then?
    What happens in september when the timetables fill up again?
    P

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you are in an LEA school then any gained time use to cover for absent colleagues counts as cover and as such counts in the 'rarely cover' agreement. As the maternity is not unexpected/unplanned then you can't be used to cover it under the agreement. I suggest you give your union a ring.

5. I think that Blazer is wrong and if they re-write your timetable it is tough. but call your union once they get back from the conferences

6. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Thank you for your replies so far.

Our year 11s will also be leaving us mid June and apparently SLT have made
    arrangements. Whether that means they are covered by SLT or a cover teacher
    is another matter.

In theory there won't be any problems in September as two of us teach second subjects
    so the hours could be covered that way.

It's just frustrating to think that they can do this. I was hoping to use those gained periods
    for planning new sows etc :(

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well of course if they insist you teach in your gained time then you won't have any SoW ready for September will you[​IMG]