1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I stand with postholder returning from mat leave early?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If your contract states that then I would hang on to that deal - perhaps the school will use you for general supply?... Most maternity cover contracts simple end, typically with a weeks notice, when the post holder returns. The post holder need only give the school 21 days notice of their intent to return and have the right to change the date from that which they might have originally indicated.

2. bozbear

bozbear New commenter

This happened to me. The post holder decided to come back the week before easter. The school only had to give me 3 weeks notice and so gave me notice until the end of spring term. I ended up leaving on the last day of term and she got paid for easter holidays and I didnt (even though I taught the class up until easter!). I had no problem with her returning either but the only reason she returned the week before holidays was so that she got paid them :) That bit made me cross!

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have read lots of posts where that has happened bozbear. While I can understand why postholders return on the first day of a holiday (I would probably do the same!) I do feel that it is only fair to pay the temp teacher for the holidays too when they have worked the entire term. I know a few people who have been paid for the holidays so I guess it depends on the school.
    Another thing that annoys me is when people tell me they have maternity contracts which stipulate that they have to give two months notice to leave but where the school only have to give a couple of weeks. The notice period should be the same both ends in my opinion.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's better to be on daily supply rate in most cases if you are going to miss out on the holiday pay if the teacher returns before the holiday (or even 'returns' to work on the first day of the holiday).
    Contracted cover teachers should at least get pro-rata holiday pay for the time served.
    Teachers are entitled to return to work to get the holiday pay. In other lines of work, maternity leave workers even accrue holiday during their time off. My neice, a physiotherapist tokk her 6 months' paid ML and then followed it with her accumulated holiday leave (back on full pay) before returning to work. She had even carried over leave from befre the ML in order to use it to effectively extend the paid ML.