1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I stand with my NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by HannahNes, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I am due to finish my Maternity cover post before the end of this term. I have currently completed 2 1/2 terms of my NQT year. I'm unsure of where I stand with this situation. Can I bank my 1/2 term? Also I believe I have already completed my '16 months' of non-induction teaching. Where do I stand with this? Is it necessary to apply for an extension to go back to supply work in September?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think the school may be able to do a mid way 'final asessment' which you can then take onwards so you can finish a half term elsewhere. James will be better to answer you on this.
    With regards to supply you would need an extension from the local LA to continue if your 16 months are up. x

3. Hi
    If your contract ends and there are 29 days or less needed to complete induction, then you can ask the LA for a reduction in your NQT time due to exceptional circumstances. They can, if otherwise you are meeting all the standards, reduce induction by up to 29 days as your contract expires. If you need 30 days or more to complete induction then it cannot be reduced. If that is the case then your current school should do a an interim assessment. If you gain a post in anothewr school in the sme LA rthey may well just require you to complete the missing 1/2 term. However, it is possible that you could lose the half term and have to complete a full term at another school. If you have run out of supply cover time then youy wiull have to apply to each LA in which you could potentially do supply work and ask them for an extension for supply work - they should be able to provide you with up to 12 months.
    James